Mini3: second time around and problems
May 7, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #32 of 37
Before I go and order more opamps from Amb, anyone have other suggestions?

Or is it pretty much looking like the AD8397 opamp is fried/defective?
If so, I know that removing these is a pain, as that is what I've read. Can anyone point me to a decent method of removing them without ruining the pads? Like I said, this is my 2nd attempt at a Mini3 because I already screwed up the first PCB. I remember reading about a $14 tool that easily removes the chips.

May 9, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sti...-mini3-422899/

Maybe reading "Mizu's" thread from the other day will help you sort it out?

Thanks MisterX, I knew I read that somewhere, on the Chip Quik.

Since this was my second time doing Mini3 and screwed up the first one, I went ahead and bought the Chip Quik device.

I also ordered new AD8397 opamps... we'll see what happens.

I just don't get why that amp went. I can only think it was defective. I really didn't spend that much time on the pins to heat the chip up.

Is there any kind of pre-installation test that can be performed on opamps?

May 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #36 of 37
Hey guys,
I just wanted to let you know that I finally got my new opamp in from Digi-Key, as I also ordered the Chip Quick smd remover from them.

First, let me say that the Chip Quick is well worth the money. I knew it was going to be a pain getting opamp off, especially with the pcb fully populated. I knew I was going to ruined the pcb without some help. Chip Quick made it EXTREMELY easy getting it off. No problems what to ever. I had problems getting the new chip back on because of the populated board.

So, I have the new opamp installed and... IT WORKS!!!
Just wanted to thank MisterX and ShinyFalcon for answering my questions. I learned alot on this project.

I also tested the recharging and that also is working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back