Mini3, Pico, Or something else?
May 17, 2008 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kabeer

Vintage Ortho Ninja 🥷
Hi
smily_headphones1.gif

I still havent got a new portable amp yet! (pico is on preorder though).

What I want:
  1. BIG, tight bass
  2. Lush midrange
  3. Full bodied sound, slightly warm
  4. NOT Bright or thin
  5. Smooth trebles, no grain, not piercing either (so maybe a teeny bit rolled)
  6. SMALL as possible, but still with a lots of driving capability (needs to drive full size cans, not just iems)
I think* the pico is the ideal candidate soudwise, and even size wise. The only downside is the price..

The only other competitor I can see that will be usefull for full size cans as well is the Mini3 high performance version, but im not sure if it fulfills the lush midrange, Big tight bass criteria?
And im wondering if its bright....
Also, its pretty much the max I want to go size wise.

Many thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Or is there something else Im stupidly missing....

May 17, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benny99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the Corda Arietta ?

Hi Benny,
Im looking for a portable. Mini3 being about big as I want. Arietta is a home amp
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Benny,
Im looking for a portable. Mini3 being about big as I want. Arietta is a home amp
smily_headphones1.gif

You could of said portable Amp
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 19
Well do you want a USB amp and amp or just an amp? The Predator meets your requirements and has some of the best bass control I have heard and all other areas of sound match up.

May 17, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well do you want a USB amp and amp or just an amp? The Predator meets your requirements and has some of the best bass control I have heard and all other areas of sound match up.

Just the amp. I chose the Pico over the predator, because others describe the predator sounding a bit thinner compared to the pico overall. And the pico has a lusher midrange.

But the pico+dac is v.expensive. If its sound is what im expecting then sound and size wise its perfect.
Bananas comment bout the AD8397 sounding thin has me worried though....

May 17, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of the choices I'd get a Pico.

Hiya, can you maybe elaborate a bit?
smily_headphones1.gif
, do you think the Pico will have more of the full bodied lush sound?
Im appreciative of the reccomendations, but would like a little explanation as well please
biggrin.gif

Thanks.

May 17, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 19
Ok, but to describe the Predator thin in any way is ludicrous and the midrange is fine.

ibasso has the D2 Boa coming out but I haven't heard it.

May 17, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, but to describe the Predator thin in any way is ludicrous and the midrange is fine.

ibasso has the D2 Boa coming out but I haven't heard it.

Hi Jamato
smily_headphones1.gif
Ok, so compared to the pico, you still think the predator fits my sound requirements more?

Then the views are conflicting on these two amps on head-fi
frown.gif
Either way, if I get a Pico or Predator, they are at VERY high prices, so would only settle on them if something kinda the $200 mark or below is on a similar level to them for my requirements.
Maybe you can comment on the other amps proposed in comparison? Mini3, C&c xo (although this is quite large).

The D2 boa looks very interesting too...

PS: Nice photography man! (saw ur galleries), very professional looking.

May 17, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 19
If you are wanting to stay in the 200 dollar range, I would wait and see how the Boa pans out. I know they worked hard on improving the sound over the good sound of the D2 Viper. I emailed them and asked when it would be available. There really are some nice sounding amps between 1 to 2 hundred dollars. I know there will be some good input to your questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back