Mini USB DAC?
Dec 30, 2009 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fengtard

Head-Fier
Hi guys, i may have posted this thread a month back or so.. but i'm still having trouble finding the perfect sized DAC for the RSA shadow! i basically just want a small USB DAC that's of the same size as the Shadow, that acts as a DAC with analog line out (without the amps and such). any possible recommendations would be great!

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

(it'd be nice if the DAC was ready made, or non DIY)

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 10
The Shadow is tiny... the smallest USB DAC I can think of is the Go-Vibe DAC I used to own, but it wasn't a terrific DAC. Apart from that, the Pico isn't very big, although bigger than the Shadow. The best "small" DAC I've heard was the HRT Music Streamer+, but despite the fact that it's smaller than most DACs, it's still an order of magnitude larger than the Shadow. The Devilsound DAC is very small as well (smaller than the Shadow I think), but comes with a lot of cable that makes it slightly bigger.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 10
How about one of those usb cables with the dac built into it? I think I've seen a bantam one on the sale forums. There are other name brand ones, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 10
thanks for all the replies, guys!
the DAC cable looks like a viable option.. but are there any other DAC's i can consider? i actually don't mind something along the size of the pico DAC, as long as i can velcro both together easily!

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your budget?

The Nuforce uDac is a really nice, tiny USB DAC/Amp which uses the Sabre ESS9022 chip. I found it's on par with the Pico DAC.

thanks for the reply!
smily_headphones1.gif

as to budget, i want to try and keep it under 150USD! but if need be, i could always get a little.. reinforcement?
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by fengtard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the reply!
smily_headphones1.gif

as to budget, i want to try and keep it under 150USD! but if need be, i could always get a little.. reinforcement?
tongue_smile.gif

For 150$, it's really hard to beat the NuForce uDac.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Not sure what it sounds like, but this devilsound-sized Penguin offering has a Wolfson WM8470 DAC and it's TINY. Comes with RCA or mini-plug on one end, USB on the other, and you could afford two on your budget
biggrin.gif

10068_0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back