Mini to mini interconnect: purchase or DIY
Aug 29, 2006 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

spikyho

Head-Fier
I originally posted this in the cables section but the thread hasn't gotten any responses over there so now I'm moving it here:

My new Go-vibe V5 amp is currently making its way from canada to my house and I am in need of a pretty good quality mini to mini interconnect in order for me to be ready for it when it arrives. I have searched and read numerous threads about DIY cables and was wondering if a DIY mini to mini made from swithcraft connectors and canare starquad would function better than a $15 cardas interconnect. (BTW, This would be my first DIY cable and my dad would have to teach me how to solder). Any help would be great

(or if Turbo wanted to hook it up like he hooked that other guy up that would be phenomenal
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
)

Thanks

Ryan

Aug 29, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 13
By functioning better you mean it would get behind the electrons and give them a push? Or does the cardas cable not let sound through at all, in which case a working cable would function better.

Just pick the cheapest option and enjoy the learning experience too. Providing a cable is properly assembled there's no difference between them.

Aug 29, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
By functioning better you mean it would get behind the electrons and give them a push? Or does the cardas cable not let sound through at all, in which case a working cable would function better.

Just pick the cheapest option and enjoy the learning experience too. Providing a cable is properly assembled there's no difference between them.

LOL electrons, I guess I deserve the smartass comment, but I was just looking for a cost effective solution and was pretty sure I could save money by going DIY, however I just wasnt sure I was gonna be able to build a cable that would sound quite as good as maybe a cardas. I guess I'll put my order in for the starquad.

Looking back, I probably should have specified SOUND QUALITY and not functionality (althought I was pretty sure this was implied). So to rephrase the question, should I expect to hear better SOUND QUALITY from a $20 cardas mini to mini or a DIY starquad cable with switchcraft connectors cable?

Aug 29, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 13
Just as Garbz suggested, I don't think you would be able to tell the difference between the Cardas cable and a properly made DIY cable. Yes, there might be electrical differences, ie. conductance, resistance, etc. but at the end of the day IMHO they would sound very much the same. I think it's more about the eye candy and shielding than anything else.

For the sake of DIY and options, try making your own. That way you can customize the length, test out different types of wire (ie. stiff solid core VS more flexible stranded) and make it as flashy or subtle looking as you want.

Aug 29, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 13
Awesome, I hope the parts can make it over here pretty quick. Do you guys know where markertech ships out of?

Aug 29, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spikyho
Awesome, I hope the parts can make it over here pretty quick. Do you guys know where markertech ships out of?

All the way across your country from Saugerties, New York.

Aug 29, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
All the way across your country from Saugerties, New York.

Weak Sauce. Amp will probably beat it (I hope so, I've been hearing horror stories about people not getting their amps for daaaaaaaaaaaays). Well then, according to you guys my simple rat shack mini to mini should sound good enough while I'm waiting for and building a decent one. Actually will the SQ vary that much?

Aug 29, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spikyho
Weak Sauce. Amp will probably beat it (I hope so, I've been hearing horror stories about people not getting their amps for daaaaaaaaaaaays). Well then, according to you guys my simple rat shack mini to mini should sound good enough while I'm waiting for and building a decent one. Actually will the SQ vary that much?

For myself, I had a cheap $3 mini-mini from Ebay for a while before I made my pure silver mini-mini, and to my suprise, I couldn't tell the difference. Hopefully you're the same on some level so you don't overspend on stupid (now I think my money spent on silver wire was a waste) last minor %ages in SQ.

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #10 of 13
I have a custom made 6" mini-mini I paid $35 for, a 6" Cardas I got for $12, and a really nice one I made myself for the tremendous amount of less than $3. I braided orange and orange/black Teflon covered silver wire that I purchased on ebay, covered it with black 1/8" Techflex, added Neutrik connectors, a bit of heat shrink, and it looks awesome. It feels great to make your own, and it sounds the same as the others.

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 13
spikyho - send me a PM and I'll try to help you out.

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks a bunch guys, I think I'll feel more comfortable as soon as I start putting my own IC together because of all of the tips I have received. I'll probably have a ton more questions as soon as I get started so I'll be sure to keep this thread alive. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back