Mini to mini extension cable
Oct 17, 2008 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PittViper

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am having trouble finding a mini to mini extension cable for my portable setup. Needs to be 6'-10'.

I found one online, forget who made it, but it was 89.00. Is it worth it.

I am looking for direction of where to find and purchase said cable for my portable setup so I can listen from my pc to my bed, and I need about 6-10'.

Using mp3's recorded at 128-320 rate from my pc sound card to my airhead and se530's, which cable should I get? I am hesitant on spending 100.00 for this cable, but will it make a great difference? I see cheap cables for 4 bucks, and I cant see pairing it with my se530's. It HAS to degrade the sound, but I have no first hand experience.

Please help me out. What should I get? I want to order this either tonight or tomorrow. Also, if I have to go the expensive route, can you please post a link or tell me where to go?

Thanks, and I'll be looking to hear from you.

Viper

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 7
I think you'll definitely get more from higher bitrate soundtracks (i.e. spend more money on CD's!)

and going with a more modest costing cable (i.e. anything with neutrik or switchcraft ends and canare or belden cables). Ask around! I'm sure there's a lot of DIYers in this forum (and others) willing to make a terrific cable at a fraction of the cost. I know Blue Jean Cables has what you're looking for about $37 for 6' minus shipping, and those will probably serve you well.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 7
What you can do is buying a cheap one and if you think it does't have enough SQ you can still buy the expensive one.

After you make an ABX test and you will see if there is really a difference.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 7
Here's another question. I am almost set on the Grado extension cable, but it has 1/4 male/female ends.

Headphone.com sales mini to 1/4 adapters I would need, and they are 5.00 a piece, and I was wondering if the adapters would be a "weak link in the chain" and degrade the sound quality. I don't want to put something in the signal path that is going to introduce noise if I can help it.

If I got the Grado cable, which adapters would you recommend, and where would you find them?

Viper

Oct 19, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by PittViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's another question. I am almost set on the Grado extension cable, but it has 1/4 male/female ends.

Headphone.com sales mini to 1/4 adapters I would need, and they are 5.00 a piece, and I was wondering if the adapters would be a "weak link in the chain" and degrade the sound quality. I don't want to put something in the signal path that is going to introduce noise if I can help it.

If I got the Grado cable, which adapters would you recommend, and where would you find them?

Viper

I doubt if you can hear any difference when using that adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back