Mini Speaker Recommendations
Mar 8, 2015 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

coolio86

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I am looking to purchase some speakers, preferably mini speakers. I want speakers to plug into my iPhone and they must be able to properly play frequencies above 20khz and they must be stereo speakers. Something up to 22 or 23 kHz would be perfect. I'm definitely not going to drop more than $50 on the speakers. If anyone could recommend speakers meeting all the criteria, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 15
Why up to 22 or 23 hz? A lot of people don't hear that high, and as you get older, you are less likely to be able to. I'd be surprised if most audio engineers are mixing for 22 or 23 hz since I'm sure most aren't 18 years old :)

Not sure about $50 speakers. $50 speakers aren't going to get you very good sound.

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 15
I'm specifically interested in speakers that can produce ultrasonic sound (over 20khz). And just to give an example, I'm considering the X-Mini II mini speakers. Those are good enough sound quality for me. The frequencies are the top priority, sound quality second :)

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 15
I am aiming to avoid tweeters, I am looking for speakers without them. Thanks though

Tweeters are your best bet in reproducing ultrasonic frequencies; "fullrange" drivers only mean they can go up to the upper treble, but you have to check response graphs since most of them roll off way before that (and still have some kind of severe peak somewhere).

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 15
The rating I could find for those is 100Hz - 20kHz. Don't expect usable +20kHz content with them unless you have seen measurements or have heard them yourself. Could be that at 20kHz they are already -10db or -15db down from neutral. Speaker manufacturers often exaggerate specs, and this is especially true for cheap speakers.

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 15
I've heard good things about them. As long as they can definitely handle 20khz, they'll do. With ultrasonic frequencies, the higher the speaker can handle, the more silent the lower ultrasonic frequencies sound.

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #11 of 15
From what I read, it's easy for speakers with tweeters to burnout and speakers without them but still have the range are best

That depends. If the crossovers aren't properly designed to protect the tweeters from frequencies too low for it to reproduce, then they won't last. Run tweeters without a high pass filter, and you'll toast them sooner. And a speaker "without them (tweeters) but still have the range" aren't as simple to find. Many "fullrange" speakers actually start rolling off their response long before a speaker with a (properly integrated) tweeter does. I mean, if it's rolling off at 10hz at whatever distance they're meant to be listened to from, then chances are it's not going to get to the ultrasonic frequencies. Even if it does it can be attenuated by a lot more than 10dB relative to the midrange.

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 15
I think you are probably looking for a unicorn. Note that Tom's Hardware measured some bluetooth speakers and ALL of them roll off a lot by 20kHz:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bluetooth-speaker-review,3661-9.html

Finding cheap mini speakers that have actually been measured to show that they produce ultrasonics might be next to impossible to find.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 15
Why would you require "ultrasonics" and then say you want to avoid tweeters? This entire thread makes no sense. I expect the next requirement will be that they also need to be perfectly flat down to 10 Hz... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back