mini speaker for IFP-899? DIY or buy?
Dec 15, 2005 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pianoplayer88key

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I'd like a speaker for my IFP-899. Attached is a picture of how I want to attach it to the IFP-899, and the approximate size I want it to be.

ripflash_plus_front_tn.jpg

this is a picture of a Pogo RipFlash Plus, my first flash-based MP3 player, which had a built-in speaker (it's above the display). My IFP-899 does not have a built-in speaker, however, so I'd like to make/buy a speaker for it.

I would prefer to spend as little as possible - like $20 or so.
I want it to be MUCH louder than the built-in speaker on the RipFlash, preferably louder than the speakerphone on my Motorola V300 cell phone (which only has 5MB of memory, and I can only fit about 40 minutes of music at 16kbps, which is barely acceptable (quality) and unacceptable (time). I'm hoping for an average output level of about 60dB without distortion.
I don't need a lot of high end (to 10kHz or 12kHz is fine and 15 or 16kHz would be nice, even if it drops off some), but I do want good bass (for the size of the speakers) if possible. I don't mind if the bass drops off some at the low end, but I DO want to be able to hear frequencies down to 8 Hz fairly well if possible, with 16 Hz being the minimum extension (even if it's -12dB).
Since I will be playing this straight out of the headphone jack on the IFP, I'm going to guess that I won't have enough power to power the speakers. So, I'm thinking I want them to have their own power. I'm considering using 2 AA batteries if I DIM (do it myself). What type of sound quality and output capability should I expect if I target a battery life of 6 to 8 hours assuming 1800mAh NiMH AAs?
As far as the tabs that go around and "grip" the player, I'd want those to be adjustable, and I'd want to be able to mount the speaker in different orientations (I just drew it in that one orientation).
I'm also thinking the enclosure for the speakers would be as thick as it is wide. As far as the 3 drivers - that's just a sketch - that could change. I'm also willing to give up stereo output if it's necessary to get wider frequency response (especially at the low end) and louder (before clipping/distortion) output.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If someone knows of a good speaker that I could buy, even if it doesn't meet all the above specifications (so long as it's not much larger than the player, preferably doesn't mount to a "T" orientation (I show it plugged into the headphone jack on the attached sketch), and has good frequency response and decent volume output, and is < $20 - $25, and preferably available at a major store (Rat shack, Fry's, Circuit City, Comp USA, etc), please let me know.

Dec 17, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 2
Like I said in my original post, I'd be willing to buy a currently existing system if one is available.

So... here are a few I'm looking at - any comments / suggestions?
I am unable to find any real specs on them, and as for what is provided, I'm not sure how to decipher it.

Should I consider the Macally Podwave, PodGear Pocket Party, or Mythix iChant? Or does anyone else have any suggestions?

(For curiosity's sake, what level of volume would literally blow out the drivers in a Panasonic RP-HT355 headphone? I've driven them quite high and have been unable to rupture the drivers (of course I'm not trying to, either), and would like a portable system similar to the ones above, or the Podgear PocketParty Shuffle (which ilounge.com rates as having poor audio quality, and give the 3 I mentioned above high marks for their size), in regards to size.)

Also, I have yet to find any info on how to make my own small speaker system like I've described above - I can't even find specs on the speaker cones or anything.
frown.gif
Are there any 40mm speaker cones with enough power handling capacity to put out about 70dB (measured 3 feet from the speaker) at about 60 to 12,000 Hz +/- 6dB (16 to 16,000 Hz +/- 15dB) with < 1% overdrive distortion?

At the price I'm looking at ($30 to $40 seems a bit high, though) is buying a speaker my best option? Also, if it turns out that my iRiver IFP-899 can't drive those quite to the volume I'm hoping, is there a way to make an inexpensive ($5-$10) amp that will boost by, say, 15-20dB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back