[ Mini-Review ] Westone UM3X
Dec 21, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #46 of 48
I use that exact combo in my portable and transportable rig (sources: iPod and laptop, respectively). It's a very neutral-sounding amp, and the noise floor is low (very little hiss).

With the UM3X, it sounds similar to the JDS Labs C421 (AD8620 version), but with the addition of a *very* good DAC. I much prefer it to the Fiio E11, which was a terrible match for the UM3X (tons of hiss, warm to the point of being muddy).

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #47 of 48
Quote:
I use that exact combo in my portable and transportable rig (sources: iPod and laptop, respectively). It's a very neutral-sounding amp, and the noise floor is low (very little hiss).
With the UM3X, it sounds similar to the JDS Labs C421 (AD8620 version), but with the addition of a *very* good DAC. I much prefer it to the Fiio E11, which was a terrible match for the UM3X (tons of hiss, warm to the point of being muddy).

Does the DAC/Amp combo improve the SQ of the UM3x? Also, have you also tried fiddling with the EQ settings?

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #48 of 48
Quote:
Does the DAC/Amp combo improve the SQ of the UM3x? Also, have you also tried fiddling with the EQ settings?

Short answer: yes. The UM3X is highly sensitive, but the impedance is also relatively high for an IEM, making them especially difficult (although necessary) to amp. They need an amplifier that can deliver a fairly high current with low gain, and the E17 does the job quite admirably considering its price point.

I usually leave the EQ flat, but I'll sometimes EQ the treble up 2-4db if I feel like the song needs it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back