[ Mini-Review ] Westone UM3X
Apr 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #31 of 48

Quote:
UM3X did have some great qualities that I enjoyed like excellent separation and a smooth, full sound. However, I found this IEM quite severely recessed in the highs and lacking dynamic range. I also hear some resonance in the lows that I think may be coming from the plastic housing.

There's nothing that EQ can't correct regarding treble, they respond very well to a nice +2 to +4dB from 10kHz and above, depending on personal taste.

Regarding resonance in the lows, I found this to be very depending on tips. While triple flange tips increased isolation and boosted bass, it created an unbalance which I didn't like.
While isolation tooks a hit with grey silicone tips and shure olives, the overall image is much more coherent and with a slight treble boost via EQ, UM3X are pure bliss.

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #32 of 48
Just got my UM3X yesterday
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #33 of 48

Quote:
There's nothing that EQ can't correct regarding treble, they respond very well to a nice +2 to +4dB from 10kHz and above, depending on personal taste.

Regarding resonance in the lows, I found this to be very depending on tips. While triple flange tips increased isolation and boosted bass, it created an unbalance which I didn't like.
While isolation tooks a hit with grey silicone tips and shure olives, the overall image is much more coherent and with a slight treble boost via EQ, UM3X are pure bliss.

This is very good advice. That little eq bump added a WHOLE lot of air

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #35 of 48
Hi Shane,

Wonderful review, I enjoy the intimacy that these offer. I was fixed on either the SE535 LTD or the W4R and ended up walking away with the UM3X RC from Yodobashi(Giant Electronics store in Japan).

I just find that these sound more natural, have a sense of realism to it that is difficult to find with BA's. The SM3 sounds good but this adds clarity to basically what the SM3 offers making it a real winner.

Unfortunately my wife took the UM3X after trying them and doesn't want to give it back. The silver lining is that this gives me the ticket to buy a pair of IEM's of my choice!
happy_face1.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #36 of 48
^ Thanks for the kind words!

I have to agree with you. I know some will shy away from the intimate sound stage but it's really the glue that holds it all together. I use them everyday and they are easily my favorite BA.

So are you going to buy your own pair or is curiosity going to lead you towards something else?

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #38 of 48
I found that the um3x sounded alot better with the treble booster EQ setting on my ipod 3G as well. 
My setup consists of the ipod 3G 32gb, iBasso D10 cobra driving the um3x and also my Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 headphones which I love to death! I've been trying to get the um3x to match the ESW9s sound signature and the treble booster EQ evened things up quite a bit.

Without EQing, the um3x sounded a bit muffled in the highs and made female vocals suffer especially on tracks where the singer attempts to stretch her voice to her limit. I would constantly bump up the volume temporarily just to listen to those segments. 

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #39 of 48
I find that the default Treble Booster setting on iTunes and the iPods boost the UM3X's treble a tad too much for my liking and make it slightly sibilant... a slight EQ of the frequencies above 10k make it brighter without turning it sibilant.

Apr 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #40 of 48

Quote:
^ Thanks for the kind words!
I have to agree with you. I know some will shy away from the intimate sound stage but it's really the glue that holds it all together. I use them everyday and they are easily my favorite BA.
So are you going to buy your own pair or is curiosity going to lead you towards something else?

Hmmm, I'm thinking about pickup the Fitear MH334-to-Go or get another pair of UM3X RC(easily my favorite BA as well!). There is a headphone festival coming up here in Japan and I will drop by to say hello to the Fitear team(got the custom model directly from them) and test the the To-Go model once I'm there.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #41 of 48

Quote:

Hmmm, I'm thinking about pickup the Fitear MH334-to-Go or get another pair of UM3X RC(easily my favorite BA as well!). There is a headphone festival coming up here in Japan and I will drop by to say hello to the Fitear team(got the custom model directly from them) and test the the To-Go model once I'm there.

Fun!  I hope to get to hear the To Go model one day.

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #42 of 48
Quote:
UM3X did have some great qualities that I enjoyed like excellent separation and a smooth, full sound. However, I found this IEM quite severely recessed in the highs and lacking dynamic range. I also hear some resonance in the lows that I think may be coming from the plastic housing. Here are some measurements and impressions of the UM3X BTW. I think that frequency graph is exactly how I heard them - full and present in the bass and low mids, but lacking the high frequencies.

I hear this as well, and it's the reason I sold them the first time around. However, I found that a slight (minus 2-3db) adjustment of the 125 hz band takes care of it while still preserving the bass impact. I have to do the same for my bookshelf speakers on my desk.

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #45 of 48
The UM3X is currently my only high-end IEM and I love it. The only gripe I had with it is the build quality can be a bit flimsy if you treat it bad. My first pair's right (or was it left?) tip came off. I am not sure what the cause was since I found it in its case in that state. Luckily, the shop where I bought my pair from gave me a replacement pair for FREE!!! You can't imagine how happy my I was. My wallet was happy too. I have yet to try it with a DAC and AMP setup but I will be buying the Fiio E17 and I hope it can improve its soundstage; and hopefully its SQ.

Has anyone here tried the Westone UM3X with the Fiio E17? How does it sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back