Mini-review: Super.fi 3 Studio (with photos)
Aug 18, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
u know what, I love how you point out the deficiency of the phone directly without trying to be as "neutral" as possible till it doesnt convey anything, I've read some reviews that do that and I have no idea how "badly" things go...and how "well" things sound. good job there. it leads me to believe that it is just an average phone in an IEM form. What do you think it sounds closely to (a full size can)? regardless of different experience in canal phone vs headphone/isolation...whatsoever...just the resemblance of the sound quality(signature).

Thanks kin0kin (and others)! I'm glad you all appreciate the review, I'd hoped I could lend a useful opinion. Believe it or not, I was purposely trying NOT to be neutral for exactly the reason you've described
smily_headphones1.gif
. Admit my bias in case someone out there can relate, and then have at it!

Sorry for my relatively slow reply in this thread...real life took over for a while
wink.gif
. Yes, I did try the foamie tips included with the Super.fi 3 Studios, and I found that I actually had an easier time getting a good seal using the large silicone tips. Seemed odd to me too, becuase with the Ety's I prefer the foamies.

As for comparing to a larger, non-IEM set of 'phones...I can't really draw any direct comparison beyond what I said in the review. Grado SR-60's are more fun and I use them for rock and jazz. Sony MDR-V6's are great for spectrum fidelity, picking apart recordings, watching movies, or plugging into an electric guitar amp and jamming, etc...but get fatiguing pretty quickly. I find the Sennheiser PX-100's kind of sloppy and boxy, but they're very convenient, so I use them on-the-go and at the office a fair amount. Etymotic ER-4P's would probably be my 'phone of choice, except that recently, I've been on-the-go a lot and therefore using an unamplified Ipod mini (2nd gen) as my source...and the Ety's suck with the unamped Ipods, IMO...total lack of bass energy and flat uninvolving sound. Might have to get myself a shuffle or other flash device with a decent on-board amp
wink.gif

And thanks for the SF5Pro comparison albau...I was wondering if the SF5 might give me more of what I'm looking for, but maybe I should use Shure E4 or Ety ER4 and find amplification or a better source.

Aug 18, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 18
Nice review!! Im looking to upgrade from my e2c in the future, so thanks!!

Interestingly... your impressions are identical to my unamped e2c impressions. iMHO the e2c sounds like fart unamped. Amping does help quite a bit, but it doesnt completely transform them.

I wonder if your impressions would be different with a small amp?

Garrett

Aug 18, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
Excellent review! I wonder how these sound compared to the ER6i as they are at the same pricepoint.

just received my pair of er6 (not i), i belive it should sound pretty similar to the 6i. I think the er6 would be the total opposite of the sf3 in certain aspect, at the same time, having some similar qualities of the sf3.

reading his impression on "resolution", it seems that the sound is rather muffled on the sf3. perhaps something like the $ony XD-200? apparently, the er6 is the total opposite in this aspect. I find it rather bright, and there is a small presence of sibilance. the mids are also a little brighter than most phones that I have heard (hd 650, px100) making vocal sound a little "quacky" (donald duck-like) with certain songs.

based on his "spectrum fidelity" impression of the sf3, it may seem that the er6 is pretty similar to the sf3 in terms of the bass department in the sense that it doesnt hit as low....but not overwhelming as the sf3, which makes everything sounds a little thin on the er6. if Omega were to put on the er6 and compare it to the sf3, I'd say he would have the same impression as the V6 on the er6
smily_headphones1.gif
I also believe that the PX100 have a much well rounded spectrum compared to the er6. mids are good on the px100...no quacky mids, highs are fine, not recessed, bass tad overwhelming....and imho, i'd prefer overwhelming bass (as long as they dont shroud the mids and highs too much) over no-bass.

as for "impact", I guess the er6 would fair better than the sf3 for the er6 being a faster, brighter, phone. but, not in the bass department.

"soundstage" on IEM is a tricky thing.....when I lightly shove the er6 into my canal...the soundstage is more apparent...at a small cost in isolation(seal is good, couldnt hear ambient noise when music is played). when I shove the phone deeper soundstage became less apparent, almost non-existent. so i guess it depends on how deep you push your phone into your canal...but in short...no where near any open full size can
biggrin.gif

Im not gonna say anything about choosing px100 over the er6
tongue.gif
I'm still trying to love the phone, but it definitely carries a sound signature that is totally different from all the phones I ever had. which makes me a little alien to the new sound.

btw, I used the silicone tip on the er6, and impression was from headphone out of the ipod. when amped with the sr-71 through my emu0404, it does sound a little better. but....for portability's sake.....let's just forget about amping it
smily_headphones1.gif

UPDATE: amped er6 sounds more detail than when running it directly from ipod's headphone out. but sibilance is still there
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back