Mini Review: Shure E5C vs Westone UM2
Apr 27, 2006 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nakedtoes

500+ Head-Fier
I received my Shure E5C, Yes i trade my UM2 for the E5C with jdimitri. There is great trust between us as this was also our first trade. Great that both of us like our new choices. Here are some photos:

The aluminum case
Picture007.jpg
Picture008.jpg

The IEM
Picture012.jpg

The crossover
Picture010.jpg

The driver
Picture009.jpg

They have the same nozzle angle as UM2. Almost look identical. However the plastic use is different. Shure use a more Matt type of plastic while Westone use a more shinning type. I reckon the E5C’s build is better because I can see some white “stress or strain” marks at the joint part of the UM2 while there is none for E5C.

The memory cable
Picture011.jpg

The memory cable extended about 7cm from both side of the drivers. This bugger took some times to get use too. I can bend them to suit my head to ear profile. Somehow I still find that wearing a UM2 is much easier and faster. This is because UM2 cables are thin but flexible. Don’t be mistaken that they would snap easily. The sleeves of the cable can take a fair amount of stress and build like a tank. Cable management thus UM2 is more user- friendly. The case that comes with the E5C is smaller then UM2.. hmm I miss Westone case.. How much are they selling now??

I finally realized one advantage of the memory cable. That are moments when you need to listen to incoming calls or when you need to talk to someone. You need to “hang” one of the drivers around your ear and risk the driver dropping from your ear…The E5C has no problem and the memory cable actually “hang” nicely on my ear.

Sound Quality (Shure E5C vs Westone UM2)

Picture012.jpg
Picture004.jpg

First of all, I have been glued to the E5C (with the same old trusty bi flange tips from my previous UM2) since I received them today. I was listening to the same MP3 tracks (about 30 of them of different genes such as classical, Jazz, POP, Trance, Rock, New age and Instruments (piano and drums) I listen every day with the UM2 thus i am very familiar with the tracks. While listening with my E5C I recorded down the different I heard immediately. Sometime I even rewind to the same part to confirm the different. Well mine first track is some male vocal jazz and I am very disappointed caused I missed the UM2 so much for its more pronounce mid, they are so sweet, more “in your face” kind of feeling. However they are nowhere near that of Grado RS-1. E5C has a more recessed mid and male vocal sound a little distance away. They sound quite good also but not that engaging as UM2. I have the same experience with the high as E5C has a rolled off high. This is very obvious when listening to female vocal.

While listening to a few bass heavy tracks like trance and drums, I concluded the UM2 has a more extended bass while E5C has a slightly tighter bass. E5C seems to have more punch, more energy from its low driver. This might be because of the different type of crossover use. Thus I actually hear slightly more bass details from the E5C. The bass details in the UM2 are somehow “cover” by the enormous bass and you need to listen carefully to spot them.

You must have hear users who heard both the E5C and UM2 saying that the E5C is a more musical phone and until I hear the E5C I finally understood the meaning, the E5C actually sound more refine and more lively then the UM2. The UM2 sound dull to me sometime, this is one of the reasons I decided to trade them off. Have you ever experience you got disengaged from the music at times while doing another task together?? I experience this with the UM2, I would listen to UM2 while surfing the net and somehow somewhere I got “disengage” from the music I listen to. Dun be mistaken not surfing some **** sites. But somehow they sound dull for most type of music except vocal which immediately got me glued to the music.

You must have heard UM2 has a very rich sound.. this is possible due to the more pronounce and engaging mid and better treble. However if the encoded bit rate for mp3 is low, the mid could sound harsh.

Soundstage wise, both IEM exhibit about the same soundstage quite close but there is still a very slight different. I feel I am seating at the front row using the UM2 and a few rows back listening to the E5C. I actually preferred the soundstage from the E5C which has a slightly better instruments separation while listening to classical. This is more apparently noticeable when I switch to my home setup (Marantz CD player > QED Silver Spiral > Headsave Classic (Dual OPA627)). I shall not go more into my home setup but I do notice the E5C benefits more with an amp then the UM2. Another thing that I am unsatisfied with the UM2 is the hiss issue. The hiss is quite unbearable for my portable setup while amping it would reduce the hiss but I find it kind of troublesome carrying a portable amp outdoor. I have also heard many E5C users complaining about the hiss issue too. However I can conclude that the hiss level of the E5C is actually much much lower then the UM2. I still can hear a slight hiss between the tracks but they are not that unbearable as with the UM2. I guess the higher resistance of the E5C helps although they are more sensitive then the UM2. With the higher sensitive E5C I can hear slightly noticeable more details then the UM2 too.

Conclusions:

Dun be mistaken that both brothers (they are from the same “mother”) sound too far apart. They sound very similar if you only hear them briefly. You will be able to spot the slight differences after you listen to them carefully. After all they use the same almost the drivers, same nozzle angle, almost the same plastic mould.. except the type of cable use, the type of passive crossovers used and the impediance differences. Shure E5C has a higher impedances then the Westone UM2. Each of them has their strong points and weak points. The UM2 has its beautiful mids and enormous quantity of bass which make them very suitable for jazz, pop, rock, dance, trance and drums. They are a god-send for male vocal and bass heavy music while the E5C in the other hand are more suitable for more types of music. They sound a little bit more refined and the bass is tight and just enough for my portables. I am very glad that I have made the right choice as I prefer the E5C over the UM2 but sometimes I miss the great mid of the UM2 while hearing vocal. I also preferred the bass of the E5C, this is what I reckon a better quality of bass. The arrival of the Shure E500 would probably cause the price of the E5C to drop further, and if the price different of the E5C and UM2 is just about $50, I would recommend the E5C anytime. You will get more accessories including triple flange tips, foam tips, soft sleeve tips and clear sleeve tips. You will also get a level attenuator and a nice matt finished aluminum case.

Until now, the Westone UM2 is still the best buy among the 2 “brothers” until times to come…they are simply irresistible.

As mine advices for all future buyers, it is best you listen to both IEM using the same tips, same source and TRUST YOR EARS only. Take in considerations like comfortable level also, your type of source and music before plugging the money.
icon10.gif

May 1, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 12
Nice review, nakedtoes. I picked up the UM2 at the National Meet recently, and have been enjoying them thoroughly. As you say, the mids are wonderful.
But, since I couldn't resist a deal that appeared in the For Sale forum yesterday, I'm awaiting the arrival of a pair of E5c. I'll let you know what I think.
Thanks for sharing.
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dave
Joelongwood, I recall that you liked the UE Super Fi Pros. How do they compare with the UM2s?

I still like the SF Pros. I brought them with me to the National Meet so that I could compare them to other IEMs, in particular the Shure E500 and the Westone UM2. The Shures just didn't do it for me, as I felt the bass was still lacking straight out of an iPod. I preferred the UM2 for three reasons when compared to the SF Pros. First, the UM2s are a bit more detailed on the top end, second, the bass is a little tighter, and finally the comfort and ergonomic fit of the UM2 is superb. The SF Pro, for some strange reason that I can't put my finger on, has been giving me problems when I go for a walk........I've been losing the seal. I've tried all different types of tips to no avail. The SQ of the UM2 and the SF Pro is pretty similar.......good bottom end and a very musical, fun presentation. However, the SF Pros have a much larger soundstage, almost like wearing full sized cans. Maybe this has something to do with the fact they seem to stick out about a foot from my ears! Neither is analytical, ala the Etymotic sound signature, nor do they present the balanced sound of the Shures (I have the E2, E3, and E4). I'm anxious to give the Shure E5c a whirl in a few days. For me, this hobby is all about experiencing different sonic presentations.
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I still like the SF Pros. I brought them with me to the National Meet so that I could compare them to other IEMs, in particular the Shure E500 and the Westone UM2. ... Neither is analytical, ala the Etymotic sound signature, nor do they present the balanced sound of the Shures (I have the E2, E3, and E4). I'm anxious to give the Shure E5c a whirl in a few days.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I am curious: are the Etymotic
ER4(s/p) the brightest of the UM2, SF Pros, Shure E500, E2, E3, E4?
Which canalphone has the bigger soundstage?
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks!

May 2, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Nice review, nakedtoes. I picked up the UM2 at the National Meet recently, and have been enjoying them thoroughly. As you say, the mids are wonderful.
But, since I couldn't resist a deal that appeared in the For Sale forum yesterday, I'm awaiting the arrival of a pair of E5c. I'll let you know what I think.
Thanks for sharing.
biggrin.gif

Yeah... would like to hear yr views too..Basically the UM2 is a very aggressive IEM.. more in yr face kind of sound.. thus some tracks sound harsh to me... I prefer the more spacious and laid back sound of the E5C when commuting..

If comparing the Er4P, E5C, E2C, E3C and UM2.. the brightest would be UM2.... it is so bright some times that i need to lower the volume.. thus i lose some details and others spectum of the sound.. The UM2 need quite a sustainable volume to sound good.
tongue.gif

WOW.. 150 for the E5C is a steal...

May 2, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I am curious: are the Etymotic
ER4(s/p) the brightest of the UM2, SF Pros, Shure E500, E2, E3, E4?
Which canalphone has the bigger soundstage?
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks!

Well, I only heard the E500 briefly, so I can't really comment on its brightness relative to all the others. I do know that I found the sonic signature to be very similar to the other Shures, except with a bit more thump to the bass.
Of the others, I would say the Etymotics are the brightest sounding IEMs I have. I think this has a lot to do with the lack of bass that I perceive, thus the entire frequency spectrum seems skewed toward the high end. The Shures are more balanced (to my ears, of course), while the UM2 and SF Pros are the warmer, fuller sounding IEMs, most likely due to their prominent bass response. The bass of the SF Pro has a tendency, at times and with certain types of music, to intrude somewhat on the midrange, thus muddying up the sound a bit.
As for soundstage, to my ears, their is no contest.......SF Pros by a wide margin.
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes
Yeah... would like to hear yr views too..Basically the UM2 is a very aggressive IEM.. more in yr face kind of sound.. thus some tracks sound harsh to me... I prefer the more spacious and laid back sound of the E5C when commuting..

If comparing the Er4P, E5C, E2C, E3C and UM2.. the brightest would be UM2.... it is so bright some times that i need to lower the volume.. thus i lose some details and others spectum of the sound.. The UM2 need quite a sustainable volume to sound good.
tongue.gif

WOW.. 150 for the E5C is a steal...

I think that maybe our definition of the term brightness may be different, which would account for our different headphone choices for "the brightest."
To me, "brightness" means that the upper ranges (treble) of the frequency spectrum are emphasized over the other components (bass and midrange.)
An emphasis on the upper midrange can give a headphone a very detailed sound, at the expense of balance. I think most Grados exhibit this sound......but I love them anyway, as it's a very exciting sound with certain types of music.
To my ears, the UM2s are aggressive in the midrange, not the treble. Same with the UM2s. The Etymotics, on the other hand (and this is true of the ER6i. ER6, ER4P, and ER4S....to my ears, anyway) have so much more treble in relation to the bass that I would classify them as the brightest of the IEMs I have.
Just my opinion....using my ears.
And, yes, $150 for the E5c does sound pretty good.
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Well, I only heard the E500 briefly, so I can't really comment on its brightness relative to all the others. I do know that I found the sonic signature to be very similar to the other Shures, except with a bit more thump to the bass.
Of the others, I would say the Etymotics are the brightest sounding IEMs I have. I think this has a lot to do with the lack of bass that I perceive, thus the entire frequency spectrum seems skewed toward the high end. The Shures are more balanced (to my ears, of course), while the UM2 and SF Pros are the warmer, fuller sounding IEMs, most likely due to their prominent bass response. The bass of the SF Pro has a tendency, at times and with certain types of music, to intrude somewhat on the midrange, thus muddying up the sound a bit.
As for soundstage, to my ears, their is no contest.......SF Pros by a wide margin.

I think that maybe our definition of the term brightness may be different, which would account for our different headphone choices for "the brightest."
To me, "brightness" means that the upper ranges (treble) of the frequency spectrum are emphasized over the other components (bass and midrange.)
An emphasis on the upper midrange can give a headphone a very detailed sound, at the expense of balance. I think most Grados exhibit this sound......but I love them anyway, as it's a very exciting sound with certain types of music.
To my ears, the UM2s are aggressive in the midrange, not the treble. Same with the UM2s. The Etymotics, on the other hand (and this is true of the ER6i. ER6, ER4P, and ER4S....to my ears, anyway) have so much more treble in relation to the bass that I would classify them as the brightest of the IEMs I have.
Just my opinion....using my ears.
And, yes, $150 for the E5c does sound pretty good.
biggrin.gif

NOt different definitions... when there is too much high.. it sounds bright.. I use female vocals to test.. and using my home setup and amp on both the UM2 and ER4S.. the UM2 did sound brighter... it could be because of the different in our setups.
icon10.gif

May 2, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 12
Good review.

I switched from E5c's to UM2's, because even after I removed the memory wire, the thick E5c cord was still a tangling pain.

Overall, I probably regret the switch. E5 are very musical, yet with UM2's I cannot seem to enjoy the music, something always bugs me about them, at times they sound a bit grainy/harsh etc. I'd say UM2's lack wormth and the fullness/volume of the E5's.

I was planing on getting E5's back, but now that E500's are sitting on the horizon
eggosmile.gif

May 2, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 12
Joelongwood, thanks for responding to my query. I have the Super Fi Pros and recently listened to a friend's UM2's and found that I liked the UM2s a lot because of perceived greater clarity on high end than UEs. Both have good bass. So, my ears hear about the same thing you are hearing. You should give the Altec IM716s a try; I would be interested in what you think. I find them to be similar to Ety ER4Ps but with slightly more bass, and the pricing is unbelievable for this quality IEM.

May 2, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes
NOt different definitions... when there is too much high.. it sounds bright.. I use female vocals to test.. and using my home setup and amp on both the UM2 and ER4S.. the UM2 did sound brighter... it could be because of the different in our setups.
icon10.gif

True....and the fact that we hear differently plays a role as well. Hey.....at age 58, (man, that's tough to type!) my hearing of high frequencies ain't what it used to be. The UM2s are putting out frequencies beyond my present hearing, which makes them not bright to me.
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dave
Joelongwood, thanks for responding to my query. I have the Super Fi Pros and recently listened to a friend's UM2's and found that I liked the UM2s a lot because of perceived greater clarity on high end than UEs. Both have good bass. So, my ears hear about the same thing you are hearing. You should give the Altec IM716s a try; I would be interested in what you think. I find them to be similar to Ety ER4Ps but with slightly more bass, and the pricing is unbelievable for this quality IEM.

I'm sure the Altecs will join the fold....but first I have to welcome the Shure E5c tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back