Mini Review - PK1 vs OK2 vs EW9 unamped
Nov 9, 2008 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fatmaneatschild

500+ Head-Fier
I have been testing for an ultraportable solution that I can use without an amp. I refuse to use portable amps as they defeat the purpose of true portablility. Both the Yuins were tested with full foam pads. The sources are a very modest Ipod Shuffle 1st gen and Powerbook.

PK1 - Even unamped, they have the best details of the 3 and by far the most impact, especially with bass. Bass has quality texture but not deep in the low end. Soundstage is good and is about the same as OK2. The details can sometimes be very surprising. It looks fragile but feels very sturdy. Sounds obviously underdriven so I am sure they will improve greatly with proper amplification.

OK2 - They have a very delicate and laid back sound signature compared to the PK1. It is very good for relaxed listening while working at a desk or just reading. I like it best for classical. The easiest of the 3 to drive.

EW9 - High quality construction with very nice reddish wood cups. It is not as good for gym or jogging use compared to the Yuins as the earclip can be comfy but bouncy when moving around. The soundstage is wide but not as 3 dimensional as the Yuins. I would say the brightest sound of the 3.

For my ultraportable uses, the OK2 would be best but they all have really good strengths in different areas.

fatmaneatschild

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 4
Thanks for the fine reveiw. I have a pair of Yuin PK1's and I concur with your aural observations. Amping the PK1's improves them greatly (even a Fii0 will do if one wants to stay as portable as possible). Again, I appreciate your mini-review. Might just get me a pair of OK2's someday.

Cheers!

Nov 9, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the fine reveiw. I have a pair of Yuin PK1's and I concur with your aural observations. Amping the PK1's improves them greatly (even a Fii0 will do if one wants to stay as portable as possible). Again, I appreciate your mini-review. Might just get me a pair of OK2's someday.

Cheers!

You should give them a shot if you get the chance, especially as head-direct's return policy and customer service is very good. I thought the PK1 is a better all-rounder than the OK2 however, maybe due to the extra bass.

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the review, I just bought the PK1's and it's nice to know they'll sound ok unamped until I decide what amp I'm going to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back