Mini review of SR125/HD555/AkG240S
Oct 24, 2004 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SilverCans

100+ Head-Fier
I listened to the SR125, HD555, and AKG240S cans today. Overall, I thought the HD555's were very dark and dull sounding. I also thought the bass was muddy. In regard to the AKG's, they were ok but felt the bass was bit loose and weak overall, they also exhibit some sibilance. The SR125's sounded the most balanced as compared to the others with no drastic anomalies overall, but they too were weak in bass impact and demonstrated sibilance.

That said I don't think I'd be happy with any of them and need advice. Should I get the SR225's or MS-2's? Which would you pick for bass response and top end performance. I am willing to sacrifice bass for highs that don't exhibit any shrill or harshness.

Oct 24, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverCans
I listened to the SR125, HD555, and AKG240S cans today. Overall, I thought the HD555's were very dark and dull sounding. I also thought the bass was muddy. In regard to the AKG's, they were ok but felt the bass was bit loose and weak overall, they also exhibit some sibilance. The SR125's sounded the most balanced as compared to the others with no drastic anomalies overall, but they too were weak in bass impact and demonstrated sibilance.

That said I don't think I'd be happy with any of them and need advice. Should I get the SR225's or MS-2's? Which would you pick for bass response and top end performance. I am willing to sacrifice bass for highs that don't exhibit any shrill or harshness.

The MS-2 will fit that bill over the 225. With flat pads. or VWAP. or even rat shack. but not stock bowl pads.

Oct 24, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Overall, I thought the HD555's were very dark and dull sounding.

Not enough burn-in. Trust me, I was in the same boat. Also you don't mention source/amp.

Oct 24, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 10
the HD555's changed dramatically with burn in. I really was thinking of selling them and getting something else, but after about 60 hours burn in (so far) they sound better.

-vasu

Oct 24, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 10
SilverCans: The K240S needs an nice little headphone amp with low impedance output in order not to produce flabby bass. It changes a bit with burn-in (i.e. gets deeper and punchier), too. What puzzles me, though, is your comment about sibilance. However, I remember that it sounded rather weird with the ProJect HeadBox, so your listening experience might have been similar...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: All in all, I'd recommend to invest in a priceworthy amp (Vibe series, maybe), before you go for even more expensive cans - which otherwise might disappoint you even more...

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 10
I just bought the AKG 240s this weekend. AKG 240s sound very different on my MG Head OTL and various 70's vintage receivers. I also own the AKG 501 and Senn HD580. After several hours of burn-in I must say that for $74.99 (Guitar Center) the AKG 240s are VERY nice cans.

Oct 24, 2004 at 12:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Quote:

Source: denon and marantz cd player headphone out jacks.

There's your problem - a home component CDP's headphone jack and no amp. That headphone output jack from even a component CD player is a bit underpowered - barely more powerful than those of some of the portable HD-based DAPs. Furthermore, their output impedance tends to be on the high side for op-amp-based outputs - about 50 Ohms. And both the Senns and the AKGs require a bit more power than what a component CDP's headphone jack puts out in order for them to sound their best - and they also work best with a near-zero-Ohm output impedance. Grados, for colouring the sound, makes a relatively weak output sound "good," and will also work quite well with a wider range of output impedances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back