Mini-Review: Mobile Fidelity Sonic Connect contact cleaning fluid
Jul 12, 2010 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
Mark Schneider from MusicDirect (who posts as FZMan here on Head-fi) came over to my table at CanJam and told me he wanted me to listen to the effect of a new Mobile Fidelity (a brand name MusicDirect owns) called Sonic Connect, which is a two-step contact cleaning fluid system. 

Info on it: http://www.musicdirect.com/product/83026

Mark knows that I am pretty skeptical of “tweaks” – for someone who is a long-time audiophile, I have been pretty tweak-free.  I think that cables only marginally effect sound (meaning much, much less than amps or source components), and that I have never gone for anything like cable risers, or magic discs, or anything like that.  At least in the case of contact cleaner, I can see that there is a good reason to use it – but the question he had for me was, could I hear an immediate difference?

So Mark put some Sonic Connect on my headphone plug.  The process is pretty simple.  You put on the Step one fluid, wipe off the excess, and then apply the Step two, and again wipe off the excess.  Cloths for wiping are included.  Mark then handed me back my headphones.  I was surprised.  I could immediately hear a cleaner treble, and more transparency.  I was impressed enough to take home some of the fluids, to see if the effect was repeatable.

So I went about cleaning things that were easy to clean and then get a fairly quick A/B on – RCA plugs, headphone plugs, etc.  And sure enough, to varying degrees, when I used the stuff, I would hear the treble clean up, and the overall transparency improve.  I didn’t really notice any other changes, but just based on that, this stuff seems worth the $50 asking price to me, given that I think it’s a good idea to use a contact cleaner ANYWAY.

So check this stuff out – if you don’t hear an improvement, I will be surprised, just as I was when I heard one for the first time
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 6
Skylab, I watched Craig test this product at Can Jam, in fact, I have videotaped it.  He definitely had heard a similar improvement you're describing.  I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet, but it's on my To-Do list.  I would have never imagined anything like that before.

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks warp08.  Yes, it was surprising, but at least it was a pleasant surprise!

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 6
I obviously have no proof for that - but again, we're talking about contact cleaner here, which is something people should be using ANYWAY.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 6
The funny thing was that Mark, who was there from MusicDirect had said, that they usually treat every component purchased from them before shipping with this cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back