Mini-Review: Cyber Acoustics CA-3000 2.1 Computer Speakers ($20!!)
Nov 4, 2004 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mr.Radar

Headphoneus Supremus
Since getting into headphones I really haven't listened to my old speakers too much. I got these a few years ago after reading nothing but positive user reviews on CNET. For $20 I figured I couldn't go wrong, and I didn't. Coming from some $10 Sony headphones I'd purchased in 1997, these sounded terrific, and even against my DT770 they hold their own. Since my Headsave Classic is currently on it's way to Norm for adjustments, I've started listening to them again (my CHA47 doesn't push the midrage forward enough for me to truely enjoy the DT770's). Here are some quick impressions of them.

Build/Asthetics: The build quality is pretty good for the price. These satalites are small and all-white plastic with grey cloth covering the drivers. Despite their appearence, the satalites aren't flat-panels. The woofer cabinet isn't very and big is made of some kind of pressed wood which seems pretty sturdy to me. The right satalite speaker contains the power switch and volume control, which are the only two controls on these speakers. They don't feature a headphone jack, but then again it'd probably suck so that's not big loss.

Trebel: These speakers are bright. The trebel isn't very extended (veiled as some might call it), but the trebel that's there is very prominent, almost like the trebel of my DT770's, only much less detailed. It is a bit "splashy" at times, though overall I'd say this is the strong-point of these speakers.

Mids: The mids are slightly recessed, and sometimes it's hard to understand what the singer is saying, though that isn't a problem most of the time. The mids are also a bit boxy, though that isn't unexpected for such cheap speakers.

Bass: Despite being marketed "2.1" speakers, the third speaker is really a woofer at barely 3", so most of the bass is midbass and upper bass. The bass isn't very well defined, though it does go pretty loud (I actually have a washcloth under the third speaker to dampen the bass). The woofer does distort very easily at higher volumes, especially on bassy tracks, but I suspect this is because it's only getting seven watts from the built-in amp.

Soundstaging: I can't really say here because I don't have them anywhere near their ideal positions.

Detail: The detail is mostly in the trebel and it isn't very good at all. As you go down the freqencies the detail level declines. It does give you the overall feel of the music, and on most tracks all the important instruments are audible, which is much more than most stock computer speakers (and even some of the cheaper replacements) can't do.

Overall sound/Conclusion: Fun and musical, which is just how I like things. It has that built-in V-curve Rock EQ that make things fun to listen to. For $20 they're probably the best stereo speakers you can get (barring used speakers), though I haven't heard many. They're definately not for the audiophile, but for friends and family that want better sound quality than their stock computer speakrs, only have $20 to spend, and don't want headphones these are ideal. Also, these speakers have the amazing ability to magnify even the slightest lossy compression artifact, making them the ideal sub-$20 speakers for ABX'ing.

UPDATE [December 8, 2004]: I've been using these with my EMU 0404 recently and I must say that these speakers have never sounded better. The mids are much improved (still overshadowed by the trebel, but much more audible) and they are much more detailed than before. I never imagined that $20 speakers could sound so good. They may lack refinement, but they more than make up for it with fun. This review of them is a bit harsh, and I really do like these speakers alot. Overall I'd give these speakers a 4.5/5 with a good source and 4/5 without one.

Dec 15, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 3
They go for 10$CAD at Staples/Bureau En Gros right now
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 3
Have you tried the 3090s? They're the only ones available at newegg and I'll probably order from there later anyway so I wouldn't mind getting them. They're $30.

*EDIT* nevermind. They're there. I did something stupid with the search function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back