mini-RCA and RCA-RCA interconnect recommendations?
Aug 17, 2005 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for something better than what I can get at Best Buy (i.e. monster cable or acoustic research). Looking to spend no more than $40-50 for each type (mini-RCA and RCA-RCA). Wouldn't need more than 1 meter lengths, preferably less than that (maybe 1.5 feet).

Seems like there's an endless sea of choices out there for cables. I just want something good. The Acoustic Research cables at Best Buy didn't look too bad though, and only about $20 a set... or are they not good?

Aug 17, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 16
One thing to keep in mind about the Zu's though...is that they are stiff. If you plan on using them with components near the wall, then you run the chance of ruining the IC's. They pretty much hold a half-moon (if not more) shape when holding one end and letting the other dangle in mid-air.

On the good side, they are constructed VERY well, and are an excellent value. Other, more flexible, IC's in your budget are the Magwire Originals and the Signalcable Analog Ones. I own both, and should be writing up a comparison soon. Also, both will come in under your $50 limit, shipping included.

As for Mini » RCA cables, check out the Straightwire and Kimber offerings on HeadRoom.

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

The Acoustic Research cables at Best Buy didn't look too bad though, and only about $20 a set... or are they not good?

I have one and it works great.

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
I have one and it works great.

Did you get the less expensive blue ones, or the ones that were a little more expensive (the black and silver ones?)

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 16
The new Mk III versions of the Pivot are *slightly* more flexible. I have the Mk II and the Mk III versions. The sonic signature is the same though. I would recommend them having compared them directly to a number of others including Monster, Cardas, Rnb Sky Blue (previous cosmetics), and a couple of DIY ones. In all fairness, the Sky Blue one was also quite good.

The Zu Pivot is very balanced and transparerent. It has the best bass response of the mentioned lot with good top end. The Sky Blues were a "faster" sounding cable, at least with my setup, slightly smoother, but lacking the low end authority of the Pivot.

The construction of the Zu is flawless. I like the cable so much that I own 3 of them.

I found that the Zu Pivot sounds better with break-in, around the 80 hour mark.

Cheers,
Dennis

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
One thing to keep in mind about the Zu's though...is that they are stiff. If you plan on using them with components near the wall, then you run the chance of ruining the IC's. They pretty much hold a half-moon (if not more) shape when holding one end and letting the other dangle in mid-air.

On the good side, they are constructed VERY well, and are an excellent value. Other, more flexible, IC's in your budget are the Magwire Originals and the Signalcable Analog Ones. I own both, and should be writing up a comparison soon. Also, both will come in under your $50 limit, shipping included.

As for Mini » RCA cables, check out the Straightwire and Kimber offerings on HeadRoom.

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 16
What length of Zu Pivot should I request to run from my Pocketdock's line out to the back of a Home amp? It will be on a desktop or table top, so if the cable is stiff, I don't know if I should go for a shorter length (around 1 foot) or a slightly longer length which would allow me to coil it up a bit.

Aug 17, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 16
I would recommend 1.5 - 2 metres to be on the safe side if you are worried. Better to have more length than less as it gives you more installation flexibility.

"Stiff" is very relative. Here is a photo of the Pivot Mk II relative to gravity. Stiff to me is the VH Audio Flavor 4 power cord. The cord is so stiff and heavy that it will simply not bend. It ends up pulling itself out of IEC sockets and wall sockets because it is so inflexible.

With the current Mk 3 version of the Pivot, you should have no problems. I have one installed in a very tight audio shelf and it snakes around the corner with no problems. Even with the Mk 2 version, with it being slightly stiffer, I noticed no problems in the same installation. If you have any problems with it, return it within 30 days and get your money back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
What length of Zu Pivot should I request to run from my Pocketdock's line out to the back of a Home amp? It will be on a desktop or table top, so if the cable is stiff, I don't know if I should go for a shorter length (around 1 foot) or a slightly longer length which would allow me to coil it up a bit.

Aug 18, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 16
Just lost an ebay auction for a Pivot-- damn!

Aug 18, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #12 of 16
why not diy? There's plenty of peeps here that will make a great cable...

Aug 21, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #15 of 16
jeez! I should be getting my pair on Tuesday-- do they loosen up at all? They'll be hooked up to my home cdp, so I guess they really don't need to be that flexible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back