Mini North Carolina Triangle Meetup Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #17 of 33
The one in the first photo you posted was Shane's of NightDayAudio - he is a dealer, and this is one of the lines that he carries. Shane attends the local meets and brings many different items for guys to listen to. The second photo you quoted was an amp from one of the attendees who bought it since the last G2G.

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #18 of 33
Thank you.
They are not even on Unison Research web pages, although seen on High End 2014 in Munich.
Interesting to see as I have been in contact with our UR representative for almost a year and he knows nothing about the release date.
Funny also, as we both live in cca. 250 kilometers range from Unison Research factory near Treviso, Italy.

Thanks again !

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #19 of 33
The Unison Research SH headphone amplifier / DAC is very very new to production.  It literally landed on US shores in late July.  I had an order in since the first moment I heard the prototype before Christmas and have been pushing and pushing to get them in production so I could have my own unit (I love it and if I can't get to enjoy all this gear, what's the point of selling it! :) hahahaha) and let others experience it as well...  it's an exceptional all tube (12AX7/EL-84) headphone amplifier, with the bonus of a ~$500 USB DAC board built in (it's what they charge to put the same board in the Triode 25 EL-34 tube integrated amplifier... so I assume the same equivalent pricing applies here...  the DAC board is designed for Unison Research by another Italian company, M2Tech.. it is an ESS Sabre chip DAC that supports 32/384 PCM and 1X and 2X DSD....  you can see more info and pictures in Howlin' Festers unboxing thread here:  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/777037/unison-research-sh-class-a-valve-headphone-amplifier

He pre-ordered a unit from me and was the first person in North America to get a unit... he got his before I even got my stock delivered :)

Between the Unison Research SH and the ENIGMAcoustics Athena headphone amps, it's an embarrassment of sonic bliss...  both are exceptional.  The traditional side of my brain loves the SH... the more modern aesthetic of the Athena just does it for me... especially the open look into the internals and the glass enclosure that seems to be shared with the Sopranino super tweeter enclosure.  I'm glad I don't have to pick just one!...  I'm not sure I could decide between the two... so I'm going to just have both in stock and available for demo.... no one will care if it's mostly for my demoing right? :)

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #20 of 33

Thank you for your explanation and link.

I have Unico Primo amp, Unico CD and Unico"R" tuner and none has headphone output, so this is the reason I am interested in SH.

Going to take some action now.
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #24 of 33
  How did I not hear about this?... such is life, I'll make it to one, one of these days
rolleyes.gif

I'm going to host again (or get my repair technician Sol to reserve his clubhouse since that was such a great space for the last meet).... not sure of the timeframe exactly...  I kind of wanted to have a home stereo event first given all the new stuff we added recently (Tannoy speakers, more Devialet stuff, Exogal's amazing little Comet DAC, AURALiC (which, with the exception of Taurus MKII headphone amp, is equally happy in home and head-fi setups), Lumin Music and their awesome network music players, M2Tech for the harmonically rich tonal color loving folks, new revisions of the Abbingdon Music Research AMR line of electronics, new stuff from iFi Audio already shipping (Retro system, iDAC2), and amazing new stuff still coming (Pro series and some other awesome stuff about to break loose and turn the market upside down again), Pure Audio electronics from the folks that previously brought us the best Plinius gear and found a way to make this new stuff miles better, new Unison Research stuff, and finally some new models from PS Audio...  not to mention some other stuff currently being evaluated to see if we want to carry it... so much cool stuff, not nearly enough time to show it all off in a single meet...  plus, a lot of stuff is coming out over the next couple months... so is it better to wait and have it when all of it is available so folks can listen?  I even sprung for a Vi DAC to give it a whirl and see what it sounds like and let others hear it... 

anyways, if you wish, when I post the next meet dates, I'd be happy to ping you to make sure you are aware...  I really wanted to have a meet where I bring nothing and just wander around and listen to other guys stuff... I was supposed to do that this time and it turned into something else entirely as usual :)  there were a couple pieces I really wanted to listen to but just didn't have time... next time, next time......

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #25 of 33
That would be awesome, I'm really into home audio as well. It will be some time before I get to purchase a speaker system due to work but would love to demo. TomNC mentioned that you had an audio shop? I also wouldn't mind lounging around there for a while. I'm really into planers atm and am looking for a good open back.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #26 of 33
Looks like a great time.  It's a shame I've already moved to Michigan, would have loved to attend.  

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #29 of 33
@jfoxvol

You've got a lot of Schiit (gear). Looking forward to listening to your yggy some day. I've just got a Gungnir Multi-bit and am curious to know how the yggy stands relative to the GMB and AURALiC Vega. The latter has proven to be a real hi-end performer to my ears from recent meetings.

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #30 of 33
  @jfoxvol

You've got a lot of Schiit (gear). Looking forward to listening to your yggy some day. I've just got a Gungnir Multi-bit and am curious to know how the yggy stands relative to the GMB and AURALiC Vega. The latter has proven to be a real hi-end performer to my ears from recent meetings.

It would seem I do.  I can afford schiit.  Mi casa su casa.  The Yggy is just sublime.  It makes everything better. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back