mini mini interconnect - pointless upgrade?
Mar 19, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #16 of 45
Another vote on the Cardas HPI cable.

Some people do find interconnect cable upgrades pointless because to their ears they hear no audible change, though to others notice a decent amount of change in the sound.
It really depends if you can hear the difference and consider a small change something big.

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #17 of 45
It really depends if you can hear the difference

There is no difference to be heard beyond the placebo effect. If any actual difference existed (especially the numerous and sometimes significant differences described here) it surely could be demonstrated, yet there has never, ever been so much as a single properly-conducted blind test that has revealed an audible difference between cables (and of course this is not particularly surprising to anyone with any kind of technical background.)

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack the thread but since the original question concerned the value of a cable upgrade I felt that someone had to point out reality. I'll simply refer anyone interested to any of the many past threads on the topic.

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #18 of 45
Hi there...just wanted to chip in a little from my personal experience...

I changed from a $2 IC to a $30 one was because the cheap one was giving too much static whenever it moved...I believe it wasent so much of the cable, but more of the plugs that were either oxidised or loose connections...

It peeved me off so much that i went to a local audio shop and made a custom cable with large canare f12 plugs(these looked darn good I must say)...as I wasent and still not very knowledgable regarding which cables are good or whats not, I just choose the most expensive one with grounding(since I only needed like 6" of it)...it works much better now and movements to the plug/rotating it does not produce any static at all...its also much more stable considering the plugs are so heavy and solid compared to my muvo LX and PA2v2...

as for hearing any SQ difference, I cannot really comment much since the old cable was almost inaudible(cheap ICs usually have lousy plugs and bad connections compared to custom ones), but once I have the cash, I would really like to get myself an expensive one like the RnB ones and test for myself if the difference matters to my ears...but as for now, I believe the money would be much better spent on a better amp and a better source...hehe...

like those above who have said, its really dependent on YOUR OWN ears, but imho a good and solid build, especially for portable use is always worth abit of investment since they can be reused...

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #19 of 45
When someone beats up on the Cardas HPI, I squirm. How, on gods green earth could spending $14 be bad?

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #20 of 45
If I was closer I would say lets meet for that placebo test
tongue.gif

I can tell the difference between the cable that came with my PA2V2 and my Cardas, and Turbo

I dunno maybe some can't here a difference...but then there is the post that says who cares you will be on a subway or a noisy place and wouldn't notice a difference anyway in that enviroment...I tend not use my rig in that kind of a noisy enviroment....Im not sure how many head-fiers are subjected to that enviroment and Im sure you woulnd't notice a difference there.

When I say I notice a difference were talking about a bed side rig, computer as source, and portable ipod as source rig.

This really seems like the Pepsi challange at this point....Blind fold 4 people poor generic soda, coca-cola, and pepsico cola....and see if they can guess which is which
icon10.gif
I am the one that argues you can taste a difference.... call me crazy
rolleyes.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #21 of 45
OT: but I have been able to tell the difference between pepsi and coke since young...hopefully my ears are as sensitive to my tastebuds...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

You have answered your own question in the thread title: mini mini interconnect - pointless upgrade

lol... You know it. Interconnects are the last thing people should be looking at. Most if it is hardcore hype. "I can REALLY hear the difference man - Honest!" In reality there is little to no change assuming you're using something half decent. I wouldn't waste your cash. Money tends to convince people that the sound is better - it's a total laugh.

Unfortunately that line of thinking seems to dominate the majority of the posters here. Somebody writes some fantastic review giving the impression that music just pops out and kicks you in the face.. Unfortunately that's usually far from the truth.

Get a decent setup and leave it alone - otherwise you're looking to waste (yes - Waste...) a lot of money on not a whole lot
wink.gif
Don't let yourself get caught up in the "elite" "I can hear it - it's better... " line of thinking. The improvements are not worth the cash most of the time
smily_headphones1.gif
You don't have to spend hundreds and hundreds to get decent sound. Koss KSC-75s for example. Who would have thought that 15 dollar clip ons could produce sound that would rival 300 dollar headphones?

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestrel
lol... You know it. Interconnects are the last thing people should be looking at. Most if it is hardcore hype. "I can REALLY hear the difference man - Honest!" In reality there is little to no change assuming you're using something half decent. I wouldn't waste your cash. Money tends to convince people that the sound is better - it's a total laugh.

Yup, I agree. My cardas 6" mini is in transit. Won't be expecting any SQ difference from the stock pa2v2 cable, it's just the convenience factor that I like since that stock cable is about a feet or two in length, and straight connectors r a pain...

So a question then... on an ipod playing mp3s, what is the distribution of SQ?

right now when using pa2v2 and super.fi 5 pro's, i'd say it's about 80% headphones and 20% amp

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #24 of 45
I've spent good money on mini-mini cables in the past. Is there a difference between expensive ones and cheap ones? In sound quality to me it's dubious. I've convinced myself there is a difference and perhaps there is.However, in build quality there is definitely a difference.

I think the most important thing is to use a cable that is properly built with decent connectors so good contact is made. Especially for portable type equipment I would suggest going with the Cardas or Markertek cable and not go crazy breaking the bank. At least a well made cable will last you for years.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
This really seems like the Pepsi challange at this point....Blind fold 4 people poor generic soda, coca-cola, and pepsico cola....and see if they can guess which is which
icon10.gif
I am the one that argues you can taste a difference.... call me crazy
rolleyes.gif

No, it's not at all like the Pepsi challenge because there actually is a difference in taste between Coke and Pepsi which can be easily explained and easily demonstrated using test groups. None of this is the case with cables.

I don't know what you think you can hear but if you think there's any objective SQ difference at all you are wrong. Again, if there was a difference there would be at least one test somewhere that proves this out, but there are none and for some unimaginable reason cable proponents repeatedly skip over this very telling fact. If one is looking to a cable upgrade to provide a product that is perhaps mechanically stronger, or just looks better, feels better in your hands, or whatever... then fine, there's some value in that... but if anyone is looking for a cable upgrade to make a noticeable difference in sound quality (no matter how small or how large) then you are kidding yourself.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #26 of 45
Ok I am far from an elietest...nor do I make millions....he|| I don't make mutch at all.

Me personally I hear a difference of the stock PA2V2 cable, there was some sort of noise err hiss useing that cable that I do not here on my other 2 IC's.

So albeit a "waste" of money I am happy with the upgrade...Will everyone else be happy spending 15 dollars on an IC be happy? I don't know....

This has also been an ongoing debate between me and a buddy of mine, more along the lines of interconnects comeing from a source (IE CD Player, going to Receiver) IMHO I like the sound of better IC...this 10 cent throw away IC's that componets come with is laughable. They have to cut cost somewhere...were better in the cable
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb

Me personally I hear a difference of the stock PA2V2 cable, there was some sort of noise err hiss useing that cable that I do not here on my other 2 IC's.

What's the other IC you tried? I'm assuming one is the turbo I/C in ur sig...

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg
What's the other IC you tried? I'm assuming one is the turbo I/C in ur sig...

Yea the turbo is great, I use it on my ipod
smily_headphones1.gif
I have also tried a rat-shack cable
very_evil_smiley.gif
and some other generic cable.

Also about the sound eq distribution....I thinkg Gary recomends 65% at source, and use the PA2V2 to turn the sound up and down...I wouldn't go much higher on the source...may start to introduce distortion.

Now what I did and that to will get the nay sayers awake, I bought a Turbodock II and use the dock as line out so I don't have to mess with the volume of the ipod at all
smily_headphones1.gif
Some say there is no sound difference between a dock line out then straight from the head phone out jack out to amp....

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #29 of 45
To add my own observations to the debate, I have found the choice of mini-mini cable to make a difference if:
The music is ripped as lossless and the headphones are resolving enough.

I have gone through quite number of different mini cables (assorted DIY, Cable Pro, MA Black Dragon, Kimber, Cardas HFI, JMT Silver, Cardas 300B, RnB BD, Zu Pivot) and they all do make a difference to the sound. Whether the sonic differences are worth the extra money, only you can answer that.

To me, a chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

IMO, the Cardas HFI will be more than good enough for most users as it beats the mini supplied with the PAVV2.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln
I have gone through quite number of different mini cables (assorted DIY, Cable Pro, MA Black Dragon, Kimber, Cardas HFI, JMT Silver, Cardas 300B, RnB BD, Zu Pivot)

What have you come up with as the best sounding with your ears and your rig out of all those cables?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbln
To me, a chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

Thank you, that is exactly how I feel....I mean spen all this money on cans, spend all this money on amps, and sources...why not spend a couple extra dollars in the cables to hook them all up. It kinda reminds me of some of the system builds I done over the years Not to get to OT...I had people ask me to put in $500 graphics cards, top of the heap processors, then when they see that I recomend an after market power supply and name brand ram...I get the response awww man come on ram is ram and power supplys are power supplys...well to make a long story short I usally get that call...man you were right, my system is locking up for no reason or random reboots etc...

Good quality parts can never be a bad thing, wether you notice a difference well that depends on the person. If you have the money and want extra insurance that your rig is going to sound the best it can sound then go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back