mini-mini for SR-71 or SM
Jan 31, 2005 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

mhcarlos

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, this might be a trivial noob question, but is it worth it to get an expensive mini-mini (like the ear candy) for the SR-71 or super macro? I'm planning to get either soon.

My set-up is 4G ipod through line-out with the ety er4. I noted the ear candy cable on an SR-71 review and I'm scratching my head as to why it's so expensive (the cardas is $20).

Thanks for the advice...

-marvin

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 35
I think the conventional wisdom on this one is; There's really no sense on spending that kind of cash on a portable setup. The Cardas being a solid, quality cable and at the length neccessary -- perfectly acceptable.

I went with the Cardas for my Iriver IMP400 and SR-71. People would have beaten me up for buying an Ear Candy. $120 for 6inches of mini2mini does deserve a beating.
biggrin.gif

If money's no issue...get 2 Ear Candys...and send me one.

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 35
bypass the whole issue and get a sik din lineout for your ipod - the new ones come with a terminated mini plug, so ou don't have the option of getting a mini to mini cable in that chain.

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 35
xoton - LOL

Jahn - Isn't that the new sik din taht isn't available yet?

Thanks,
Marvin

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcarlos
xoton - LOL

Jahn - Isn't that the new sik din taht isn't available yet?

Thanks,
Marvin

is it not available yet? hmm well in the meantime you could always just get the normal sik din, then get a Xin right angle mini to mini adapter (wireless), but i'd just be patient and wait for the new version if we are this close - it will save $$ too.

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 35
Ok then... Sounds like good advice. I'll just do line-out from the dock when I'm at home and wait for the new sik din. Thanks again.

Good to know that $100+ mini-mini would be silly for my set-up.
icon10.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 35
I'd echo Xoton's comments. I've got some good ICs that I use with my desktop setup (some Homegrown Audio Silver Lace ~$180 for 0.5m), and bought a silver-based JMT mini-to-RCA cable when I bought my PPA to use with my HD650s and iPod.

However, I'm now in the process of building some more MINT amps for use with my iPod and Sensa 2X earphones (got a few different configurations to try out) and have bought a small headphone extension and mini-to-mini cable from Moonaudio for about $25 each that use Cardas headphone cable. For a mini setup this ought to be sufficient, of course, if I were connecting the SR71 to a standalone source (such as my SACD player) I'd consider building some more Homegrown audio type cables (which incidentally, if you fancy giving it a go, are extremely good).

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 35
I recommend this cable: http://headphone.com/layout.php?topi...tID=0050370001

It the same cable used in etys and sensas.

I've used higher end ones and the sound difference is so small it not worth it. Not because of the price difference but because of how inconvient they are. The cable are too big, not flexible enough, and just a pain to deal with. I guess some find it worth it anyway.

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 35
Thanks iamdone.

BTW, off-topic, but I looked at your profile and I noted that you used the Etys and now you use the prophonics. I'm curious -- how do those compare with regards sound quality?

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Thanks iamdone.

BTW, off-topic, but I looked at your profile and I noted that you used the Etys and now you use the prophonics. I'm curious -- how do those compare with regards sound quality?

The sensas are much better than the etys. Much fuller sound but not bloated at all. They give an out of the head sound experience instead of the thin sound the etys present. They have good details, clear highs, fast and impactful drums, and smooth mids.

I also used the shure E5 for two weeks and didn't like them. Bloated bass, muddy, recessed voices, and rolled off highs. I also gave the new shure E4 (to be released in April) a try at MacWorld and thought it was as good as the etys (maybe more bass) but the sensas still blew these away.

I still prefered the hd650/zu and RS-1 to the sensas at home. The closed sound of the sensas are just missing something compared to the open fullsize headphones. The hd650 was more spacious and lush. The RS-1 are more exciting, have upfront guitars, in your face sound, and a little more detail.

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 35
Thanks.

Darn. I googled and saw lindrone's review of the sensas versus the etys. I haven't read it yet, but I saw that the price was $750 for the sensas
eek.gif
I thought they'd only be a little more than the etys. For that price, they had better be a lot better.
tongue.gif

For now, I think I'm better off looking for full-size headphones for use at home. I'm sticking to etys for office and subway use.
etysmile.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #14 of 35
You could always get the ue10 for $900!

Jan 31, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Hi, this might be a trivial noob question, but is it worth it to get an expensive mini-mini (like the ear candy) for the SR-71 or super macro? I'm planning to get either soon.

My set-up is 4G ipod through line-out with the ety er4. I noted the ear candy cable on an SR-71 review and I'm scratching my head as to why it's so expensive (the cardas is $20).

Thanks for the advice...

-marvin

get the cardas, if you want ear candy type just build your own switchcraft. canare interconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back