Mini-Mini Advice Sought, $$$ a factor
Jan 17, 2006 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jetlag

100+ Head-Fier
My portable audio setup consists of 2 Rio Karmas which are filled with FLAC files, ripped from my CDs using EAC/Accuraterip in secure mode. My amp is the infamous RSA Hornet, and I listen via a custom pair of UE-10 Pros. One more component is needed. As you can see from this photo, I have been using a Rat Shack IC to couple the two. With it's straight connectors it is not only to long, but also inconvenient.

headfi_1.JPG

I would appreciate your advice on a short IC with right angle connectors which will not break the bank. Essentially, it should be of decent quality, neutral sound, and most importantly, it should not make me cry if I were to lose it. i.e. price is a factor.

BTW, I got my Karmas very cheaply (new, not refurb) on a poorly written and advertised eBay auction, I got the discount early order price on the Hornet, and actually won the UE-10 Pros, so not a lot invested at this point.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Jan 17, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 15
With a portable rig of that caliber I would not go cheap on the cable... that said, the RnB Audio Diamond IC's are fairly reasonably priced. Have a look at the add in the Mall-Fi Forum on here.
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 15
when i saw that interconnect I threw up a little in my mouth
puke.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 15
For a decent and under $20 short right-angle mini-mini cable, check out the Cardas 6" and 12" at Headroom. It's probably the cheapest "good" one available. Cable makers can also give you a good deal if you know who to ask.

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 15
Heh, I've got that same Ratshack mini-mini too
tongue.gif

Second the recommendation on the Cardas at Headroom... if you get it, remember to ask them about cheaper shipping methods in the "comments" section of the order. They'll send it USPS and charge you very little, if you request it.

Jan 17, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 15
Jan 19, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Heh, I've got that same Ratshack mini-mini too
tongue.gif

Second the recommendation on the Cardas at Headroom... if you get it, remember to ask them about cheaper shipping methods in the "comments" section of the order. They'll send it USPS and charge you very little, if you request it.

Shoot! I wish I would've read this before I ordered my Cardas this afternoon - $7 for FedEx shipping! That costs 1/2 of what the cable costs! Oh well.

Jan 19, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 15
I went with the Cardas (the others looked nice and I bet they sound great, but just a bit steep for me right now), but got an email from Headroom today, it's back-ordered.

You may be able to revise your order to save a few bucks on shipping since yours will most likely be back-ordered as well.

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 15
I've looked at Ted's Earcandy for a long time.I have two cables from them(CablePro).Nice and very transparent but man oh man--those prices...whew.....

When i receive my Zemo amp I'm seriously considering one of RNB's cable.

The price for the Cardas being so low is hard not to shy away from.

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetlag
I went with the Cardas (the others looked nice and I bet they sound great, but just a bit steep for me right now), but got an email from Headroom today, it's back-ordered.

You may be able to revise your order to save a few bucks on shipping since yours will most likely be back-ordered as well.

Yep, I just received word that my cable was backordered too. I sent them an email asking about shipping alternatives. Thanks for the tip!

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetlag

Hmm, that's kind of weird, i ordered mine yesterday morning (12") and recieved it today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back