Mini-Meet: Electrostat Showdown in Cowtown - SP ES-1 vs McAlister EA-6 vs STAX 007t
Nov 18, 2006 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pabbi1

Cavalli Audio Spiritual Advisor
Where better than Ft Worth, Texas to have a shoot out?

The amps:
Singlepower ES-1
McAlister EA-6
STAX 007t

The headphones:
STAX Omega II (x2)
Sennheiser HE60 (x2)
Koss ESP950

The sources:
Acoustic Arts CDP 1-MK2
Eastsound E5

The judges:
Rob (bahamaman) - our gracious host
Alex ([AK]Zip) - apuresound.com
Al (pabbi1)

The impressions:

Pics:

Nov 18, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 18
Nice set of gear you had there!
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't wait to read some impressions. Especially how the 007t compare to the McAlister and Singlepower amps, when they drive the Omega II.

Nov 19, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 18
I'm a bit crunched for time (and therefore don't have time to post extensive impressions), but I would like to say that [AK]Zip's lightly-modded 007t did quite nicely with the Omega IIs. Sure, I had a preference for my ES-1, but the 007t held its own very well.

Count me among those who believe the 007t doesn't deserve the near universal criticism it seems to receive.

Nov 19, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 18
Can't wait to hear some impressions, nice gear guys!
cool.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 18
Ok, disclosure time -

BTW: For those with agenda, I have already emailed Peter with this disclosure, so save the bandwidth. Take anything else somewhere else.

The EA-6 was apparently damaged in shipment - this meet was to eliminate my remaining troubleshooting variables. I had already fully retubed the amp, as I suspected damaged tubes were the real culprit. With some vast bass response improvements in the bass by adding some Raytheon 6CG7 drive tubes (Japan, short-plate), there is still a nasty distortion in any electric guitar parts, checked with other HE60 and both Omega II, though acoustic guitar, strings, piano and vocals are all (relatively) unaffected. Capacitor? Connection? Other failed part? I just can't say, as a quick visual inspection did not reveal anything apparent.

Bottom line: the amp is going back to Peter for troubleshooting, and with some comments on what I was able to hear. This amp can get nothing but an 'incomplete' at this time, as it simply isn't physically able to perform.

I am in full agreement with Rob - the 007t is a much maligned amp, and sounded pretty damn good, both driving the OII and the HE60 (and both at the same time). But, again, the ES-1 is just spectacular, does absolutely nothing wrong, and is, as always, a joy to listen to - I dare say, moreso than the Orpheus. I could gush on and on, but others have already covered that amp ad nauseum.

So, those wanting observations about whether the EA-6 is an Orpheus killer will simply have to wait until another day... my current gut feeling is you get what you pay for, and the EA-6 will be quite challenged to match either the Orpheus, the ES-1, or even the 007t. There is simply no data today to make an observation, pro nor con.

Nov 19, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is still a nasty distortion in any electric guitar parts

And, lest there be any doubt, the issue with the EA-6 was immediately apparent to us all. Otherwise, the amp acquitted itself quite nicely.

Nov 19, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #8 of 18
Ahhh~!! I wish I was there~!!

Good to see my Koss' getting put to some use. Did you guys charge them up fully before you turned on, tuned in, and dropped out?

Pabbi, sorry to hear about your McAlister. Hope it all works out for you.

Now, chop chop, impressions people!

Nov 19, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #10 of 18
Yes, the Koss - alas, no, we didn't charge fully, but they sounded damn good even so - a bit warm on the ears for my taste, but sounded really good, especially price considered. Others have indicated them equal to HE60, but I'd have to spend way more time to verify that.

This was, of course, driving them with the 007t, and with one of Alex's fabulous recable jobs.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the Koss - alas, no, we didn't charge fully, but they sounded damn good even so - a bit warm on the ears for my taste, but sounded really good, especially price considered. Others have indicated them equal to HE60, but I'd have to spend way more time to verify that.

This was, of course, driving them with the 007t, and with one of Alex's fabulous recable jobs.
evil_smiley.gif

So no one felt frisky and plugged it into the ES1? Booo...
tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 18
Sorry to hear about your amp troubles pabbi. I wouldn't count it out yet though... my dynamic amp definately plays with the big boys. I can't wait to compare it to a SDS-XLR at the National.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you tell us what mods were done ?

Alex - would you remind me what you did to the 007t?

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you tell us what mods were done ?

I would like to hear more about these modifications as well!
Other than tube-rolling I know of no way to alter the 007t's sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back