Mini Mac as Home Media Hub....
Jun 15, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #16 of 22
Thanks for moving me....

I won't make that mistake again. This thread just started as a link to a External HD for the Mini Mac but turned into this. If anyone here can help with my stupid questions I'd appreciate it.

ZT

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #17 of 22
Are you ready???

Here goes.....

I have a mac mini with wireless card sending a signal to my Airtunes card. I managed to get a Van Den Hul Octocupler made with one end "mini" which connects to my £2000 Chord DAC 64.

The Chord feeds my Kairn/Klout Linn pre/power combo.

I've made comparisons to my Ikemi CD player and the mini does do well! Altogether I would say my setup is about £10k with mains conditioners and leads included.

The mini is indeed fairly silent, i now use it not just as a music server but as my main computer. But do take note of its limitations.........ITS SLOW!

Jun 15, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #18 of 22
Well - too rich for my blood Fickle.

But impressive all the same.

Simple question:

To take sound from a Mini linked to a large capacity external HD out to an amp in a pretty good Hi-fi system I can improve the sound for say $200 with what sort of external soundcard DAC?

ZT

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fickle-Friend
Are you ready???

Here goes.....

I have a mac mini with wireless card sending a signal to my Airtunes card. I managed to get a Van Den Hul Octocupler made with one end "mini" which connects to my £2000 Chord DAC 64.

The Chord feeds my Kairn/Klout Linn pre/power combo.

I've made comparisons to my Ikemi CD player and the mini does do well! Altogether I would say my setup is about £10k with mains conditioners and leads included.

The mini is indeed fairly silent, i now use it not just as a music server but as my main computer. But do take note of its limitations.........ITS SLOW!

Jun 16, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #19 of 22
Hi ZT, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, pesky work!

1. I have an old Mission dac5 DAC which I got for 15 quid, and I think it makes a big difference to the sound, compared to the analogue output of the M-audio, although I haven't bothered doing much of a comparison. Generally, an external DAC will use better components, have a better power supply, and will be shielded to a greater degree. The outputs on the M-audio are still better than most sound cards I've heard, and certainly better than any onboard sound cards.

2.The headphone output is pretty good, although I don't do much headphone listening these days, and I usually use the headphone socket on my NAD3020 amplifier anyhow

3. I find computer noises annoying when I'm listening to music, especially in a quiet environment, so getting that hard drive as far away as possible is important! I don't know how long you can run a Firewire cable, but I'll bet someone out there does... Wireless seems to be a great option, people are reporting that there's no loss in quality - which seems fair enough, because there's no loss of data across a wireless network (if you send a file over a network, it's going to be the same at both ends, right?)

I notice you're in New Zealand... my housemate and another friend are going there next month - what's the weather like at the moment??

Fickle-Friend - that certainly seems like a great setup! In a few months' time, when I move to a larger flat, I'll be joining my mini up to my 2a3 and Lowther setup, I'll be interested to hear how it sounds - I'm glad you're getting positive results using it in a high-end setup!

Andrew

Jun 16, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cupples
Hi ZT, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, pesky work!

1. I have an old Mission dac5 DAC which I got for 15 quid, and I think it makes a big difference to the sound, compared to the analogue output of the M-audio, although I haven't bothered doing much of a comparison. Generally, an external DAC will use better components, have a better power supply, and will be shielded to a greater degree. The outputs on the M-audio are still better than most sound cards I've heard, and certainly better than any onboard sound cards.

2.The headphone output is pretty good, although I don't do much headphone listening these days, and I usually use the headphone socket on my NAD3020 amplifier anyhow

3. I find computer noises annoying when I'm listening to music, especially in a quiet environment, so getting that hard drive as far away as possible is important! I don't know how long you can run a Firewire cable, but I'll bet someone out there does... Wireless seems to be a great option, people are reporting that there's no loss in quality - which seems fair enough, because there's no loss of data across a wireless network (if you send a file over a network, it's going to be the same at both ends, right?)

I notice you're in New Zealand... my housemate and another friend are going there next month - what's the weather like at the moment??

Fickle-Friend - that certainly seems like a great setup! In a few months' time, when I move to a larger flat, I'll be joining my mini up to my 2a3 and Lowther setup, I'll be interested to hear how it sounds - I'm glad you're getting positive results using it in a high-end setup!

Andrew

Thanks for all the advise. I'm def going to check this out if I ever do want to turn my Mac into a giant Jukebox.

It's getting colder here. We're into Winter. I'm in Auckland which has a moderate climate (not cold enough for scarfs or mittens) it's never snowed here but your friends will probably go to the South Island and the snow down there will be lovely on the mountains.

Quite a few of you lot are down here at the moment supporting the Lions. You did well against Wellington but struggled with the Maoris.

It'll be interesting to see how they do on Saturday.

ZT

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT
To take sound from a Mini linked to a large capacity external HD out to an amp in a pretty good Hi-fi system I can improve the sound for say $200 with what sort of external soundcard DAC?

For around US$200, you could have an AirPort wireless network card installed inside your Mini, and have enough left over to buy an AirPort Express. You plug the Express into a power point close to your Hi-Fi and use its line output to pump the music into your amplifier. That way, you don't have to co-locate the Mini and the Hi-Fi because the music is wirelessly streamed. Admittedly, there are better DACs than the AirPort Express, but not at its price point.

Jun 18, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #22 of 22
This is an interesting concept. I am considering the same thing. Not for my home, though. I am not that cramped for space, and making a PC quiet is not all that tough. In the car, however, the mini would be extreme-cool. I could hook up to my home network when I pull into the garage, and grab chunks of the main library in any format that I like. Working out the D/A interface and volume control could be fun. Lots of boxes with firewire interface, level knob, and balanced output (what better place for balanced cables than in a car).

Ancilliary considerations include display, trackball/pad, and power supply. True sinewave inverters are available. Direct power would be better. I don't know about displays yet. Any Apple reps interested in a new (and huge) market?

The only drawback is that my gps/map software only runs on windows. Is there an osx or linux equivalent around?

Sorry to "drift" off trajectory. Just thinking out loud.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back