Mini iPod Here
Feb 20, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #32 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by sno1man
I walked across campus just a minute ago with it on my belt.

Nobody tried to mug you? I'm afraid that would happen to me. Plus the girls here are probably immune to such eye candy.

Feb 20, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #33 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
South Hills, Upper St. Clair

Ahh cool, my roommate is from Upper St. Clair.

And Austonia, thanks for the pointer. I want to see some "real life" pics of the mini pod
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #34 of 61
Any idea when Amazon is going to ship these damn things? I notcied that the Availability for the miniPod has changed from the "Not Yet Available" that it said when I placed the order to "In Stock Soon. Order Now To Get In Line. First Come, First Served." Hopefully they will be shipping by Monday. My guess is that Apple has them by the cojones and ordered Amazon to hold off on release until after the 6PM release at Apple stores. But that does not explain how Best Buy and other retailers got the jump on Apple.

Feb 21, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #36 of 61
How does the Mini interact with Itunes? What I mean is that what if you have a 3G Ipod, and in your Itunes llibrary you have more that 4 gigs of music for transfer. Do you have to delete everything over the 4 gigs in order to syncto the mini if you own both?

Feb 21, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #37 of 61
No, I read on a few of the review sites that there is "intelligent" synchronization and user-configurable options that will allow you to have 4+GB of tunes, a regular iPod, and a miniPod without having to re-write the mini each time it connects. I got the vibe that it was a bit like the Rio DJ feature on the Karma - you can set it to keep your favorite 4GB of tunes by rating/playcount, new additions to the iTunes library, etc.. I will post more specifics as soon as my mini gets here.

Feb 22, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #38 of 61
I just shut off the auto sync feature and do manual loads.

fwiw Comp USA has them here, but Best Buy hasn't even heard of them yet. I got the last blue one, but they had plenty of silver left. They weren't sure if they had sold any pink ones yet.

gerG

Feb 22, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #39 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by myself, aka me
If you don't like iTunes like me then maybe that's not such a great concern.

A large part of this could be because you haven't got an iPod. Just a thought.

Feb 22, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #40 of 61
oh man... yesterday one of my friends got one. Sooooo cool. Thinking about selling my 20gig and buying a mini iPod.

Feb 23, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #41 of 61
I fondled some at the Apple store today. Very cool. Unbelievably small; the aluminum case is great. And the click wheel is a big improvement over the touch-sensitive buttons. Hopefully they'll go with the click wheel on 4G iPod. Still would never buy one when $50 more gets 11 more gigs. But I bet they sell a lot. There was a big crowd around them in the store. People were literally ogling them.

Feb 23, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #45 of 61
Well, I've had my silver mini ipod for 2 days now.

Whoever says its just an iPod with a vastly smaller HD for just a few less $$$ has not used this player. It is much smaller. It is much lighter.

Design - 9
Player Size/GB ratio - 10
Screen - 10
Casing - 10
Ease of use - 10
Integration with iTunes - 8
Battery - TBD
Skip protection - so far so good but I have not run with it yet
Sound - see below

I do have a major complaint though. Perhaps I just do not know the proper settings but I find the sound vastly inferior to my Nomad Zen Xtra. All of my MP3s are ripped with EAC and encoded with LAME at alt preset standard so its not a problem with my files. Further, I have listened with both Sennheiser MX400s and Bose Triport headphones so its not the phones.

In fact, I find the sound so flat, that I cannot tell my purchased itunes at AAC 128 apart from my LAME APS files. Therefore I have been encoding music at AAC 128. Might as well get more songs on it if the sound is not going to improve from a higher quality encoding.

I find the highs very strong but the sound has much less depth than my Zen and the cymbals are smeared on loud rockers. Acoustic songs with just guitar and voice sound great. Its really the drums that suffer. I have tried almost all equalization settings.

Anyone else finding this or is there a recommedned setting to maximize performance?

I have been listening to The Stereophonics, Oasis, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Sarah Mclachlan, The Thrills, Jet, Outkast, The Notorious BIG, and Sheryl Crow on the mini so far.

Other than the dissapointing sound, its the best player I have ever owned, and this is #9 for me. I owned a 2G iPod, but passed on 3G for a Nomad Zen Xtra (2nd best player and best for sound). I have also owned 50% of all Rio players ever put out, including the Nitrus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back