Mini impressions: Larocco Pocket Reference II!
Feb 22, 2006 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

guyverl

100+ Head-Fier
Mine arrived yesterday (but out of batteries now
frown.gif
). What can I say about the sound... absolutely crystal clear, controlled bass with just the right amount of quantity. Soundstage is very precise and somewhat wide. This is indeed one fine portable amp. I can even hear details that I couldn't hear with the SM3 or MicroAmp (or any other portable amp i've owned) on my reference tracks when comparing them side by side on the UE10s

The Silc RCA cables from Larocco are certainly pretty but are a bit warm for my liking. Once again my trusty Rnb Audio Gold references are used for comparisons between amps and is what i'm using now! It does however, lack crossfeed which i'm a big proponent of..

Are there any other PRII's lurking in the island of UK?

My only qualm about this amp is the externals. People have waxed about how nice this amp looks but I think it's kinda ugly. The enclosure bound by the o rings are a nice touch but the skirted knobs and the plainness of the enclosure don't earn any brownie points - also there is no indicator on the knobs which show what volume the amp is turned to. Build qualty however is superb though it is rather a large portable amp...

I'm pondering whether to start trying a pre-power amp combo with the SM3/Pocket Reference II...

Feb 22, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyverl
Mine arrived yesterday (but out of batteries now
frown.gif
). What can I say about the sound... absolutely crystal clear, controlled bass with just the right amount of quantity. Soundstage is very precise and somewhat wide. This is indeed one fine portable amp. I can even hear details that I couldn't hear with the SM3 or MicroAmp (or any other portable amp i've owned) on my reference tracks when comparing them side by side on the UE10s

The Silc RCA cables from Larocco are certainly pretty but are a bit warm for my liking. Once again my trusty Rnb Audio Gold references are used for comparisons between amps and is what i'm using now! It does however, lack crossfeed which i'm a big proponent of..

Are there any other PRII's lurking in the island of UK?

My only qualm about this amp is the externals. People have waxed about how nice this amp looks but I think it's kinda ugly. The enclosure bound by the o rings are a nice touch but the skirted knobs and the plainness of the enclosure don't earn any brownie points - also there is no indicator on the knobs which show what volume the amp is turned to. Build qualty however is superb though it is rather a large portable amp...

I'm pondering whether to start trying a pre-power amp combo with the SM3/Pocket Reference II...

another londoner, where abouts in london are you?

Feb 22, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 10
Hehe, live in Tower Hill ( near the bridge ) and work in Canary Wharf
biggrin.gif

Don't get me wrong the MicroAmp is a fine amp indeed. And when coupled with the MicroDac it is an incredibly sweet combo. Add this to the fact that they stack on each other perfectly it's a winning combo.

One thing as I said in the original post was the lack of crossfeed on the PRII. Crossfeed really does help with the imaging and coherence of image with headphone listening. It also makes listening for longer periods much more bearable. HeadRooms crossfeed and Xin's crossfeed are both really good at this...

Hmm, PRII compared to SR-71. Let's just take the stock PRII with AD8620s. They both certainly have their flavours. I would say that the PRII has a more expansive soundstage and has clearer highs; the mythical musical veil is lifted the most with the PRII. Details are also more apparent on the PRII as is instrument separation and placement Midrange probably goes to the SR-71 with its wonderfully natural musicality and decay to die for - this is not to say the PRII is a slouch! Bass... SR-71 has more warmth again and a little more quantity - quality wise though they are both as controlled as each other ... hope this helps.

Build quality wise they're both on par.. .maybe SR-71 a slight edge. Aesthetically wise the SR71 looks a much more professional and finished product! I just wish Ray would make an SR-71 that would charge batteries, take AC and with an implementation of crossfeed - now that would really kick ass!!

Lee

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 10
Sorry, but I have an off topic question. How long ,after you ordered the Pocket Reference II, did it take to be deliveried to you? I hear the wait is up to three months!
eek.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 10
2.5 months for me.

I think he has all the amps out now that were ordered, so if you order one, it shouldn't take that long. Don't take my word for it but that's what I think.

Feb 23, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Sorry, but I have an off topic question. How long ,after you ordered the Pocket Reference II, did it take to be deliveried to you? I hear the wait is up to three months!
eek.gif

Fortunately I bought my PRII off a fellow headfi-er so I had to wait all of 1 week...
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 10
I waited a few weeks. I was part of the Xmas deal and I opted to get mine in time for Christmas as opposed to the free blackgate upgrade, which added even more weeks onto the wait time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back