Mini Disk as outboard DAC
Nov 21, 2002 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ai0tron

Banned
Well, being a college kid I had to let the Melos go as it represented far too many cases of Ramen if it could be transformed into cash. At the same time I decided to unload my DIO also. Well, I was less than content to say the least but my Pioneer DVD 444 seemed to be performing well enough when paired with my little jmt made CHA-47. Then one day I was rummaging through my stuff and came across my MD player, the Sharp mt-15. Yeah it's low end, but surprisingly nice sounding. I basically took a monster optical cable and ran it out from DVD player and into my MD player, then ran the analog out on the MD into my CMOY. Strangely, or maybe not so strangely, the MD players DAC is VASTLY superior to the DVD's DAC, or it might just be the output stage. Whatever it is the sound is much less sibilant now, and generally the sound is better defined. I was really surprised, maybe it has something to do with the fact that the sharp player is battery powered. Whatever it is, thumbs up to Sharp for making a better sounding DAC than Pioneer.

Dec 1, 2002 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 2
um.. so does this mean the md sounds great on its own as well? or just when its set up like this,,, as u can see in my thread i found a near new MD-MT20 (recordable version of yours i think) boxed up i had forgot about.. and am curious as to the quality it will produce :0) does the DAC have a large bearing on sound quality? any other factors i should know about??? thnx alot. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back