Mini CD-Pro2 Transport Kit
May 5, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh, that's exactly how my build started. They did replace all of the parts in a timely fashion but I was hoping they had gotten better about their packaging. :|

However, one you have the parts I think you'll find that things will go pretty smoothly and quickly.

Looking forward to the finished product.

It looks like the box had something real heavy stacked on top of it. That split the side open and allowed the contents that were on top to move around and fall to the bottom. It was taped closed later on in transit, but it leaked parts all the way here.

I think that if they would place all the seperate components bags in one bigger bag and tape the bag to the top piece of styrofoam it wouldn't happen.

So note to future buyers of this kit... Ask them to double bag the components and secure with tape.

It really wasn't a big deal in the end as you can easily find out what you are missing if you navigate their US site long enough. Once I knew what I was missing I sent them an email and they responded within an hour. It just took me a little longer to figure out what I was missing because I ordered a DAC kit and chassis also. So I actually had 2 kits to sort through.

I think you're right about the build being a smooth one. I already put together the remote. I'll put the display panel together tonight maybe followed by populating the transport pcb.

May 6, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put in an order yesterday somewhere for the boombox used in the shigaclone project.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sweet! that makes at least 4 head-fi'ers then
smily_headphones1.gif

if we only had a mutual friend with great woodworking skills who needed a new transport for a second DAC he/she might be acquiring .....

Just a little more OT:

After seeing the shigaclone threads elsewhere, i noticed how similar the transport mech looks to my Rega Apollo... upon further investigation, lo and behold, Rega's using the same, too!

May 18, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #34 of 50
I got all the missing parts in. I'm going to try and get some stuff assembled and post some pics.

May 18, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by yotacowboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a little more OT:

After seeing the shigaclone threads elsewhere, i noticed how similar the transport mech looks to my Rega Apollo... upon further investigation, lo and behold, Rega's using the same, too!

seriously? Any pics? Sanyo transports FTW!

sure it's just not the same laser mechanism?

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #37 of 50
Sorry everyone...

I've had some family issues to take care of along with upgrading my electrical service to 200 amp and installing a whole house surge suppressor.

I should be building some of it tonight

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard a really good sounding CD-Pro2M based transport... Maybe it's just the ones I've heard, but they are what they are to me.... jukebox transports. I don't see why everyone gets so excited about these. Anyways, what will you be comparing this transport to, if I may ask?

We need a Shigaclone thread I suppose then
smily_headphones1.gif

I recall getting positive reviews from many around these parts with the CD-Pro2M one I built eons ago. I rather like the footprint of this one, mine was monstrous before I disassembled it.

May 6, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #39 of 50
I consider CD-PRO2 on top of the transport food chain.
As you can see that some of the worlds best cd transport uses CD-Pro2 engine, for exemple:

Metronome Kalista
Metronome%20KALISTA%202.jpg

and
Mark Levinson No 31.5
2007121725443669.jpg

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #41 of 50
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm building one of these (Mini CD Pro) and could use some help form someone with experience.  The kit looks great, very high quality, but the instructions are sadly lacking.  This doesn't matter with the electronics so much but I can't figure out the case.  There seems to be a switch to tell the player the door is open, but I can't figure out how to mount it (or how to mount the door, for that matter).  Can any of you with completed units post a revealing pic or two (of the unit, that is)?  It would be most appreciated.
smile_phones.gif
  The hifidiy folks are very nice and try to help but aren't always very good at it.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #42 of 50
HELLLLP!!  Anyone who has successfully (or unsuccessfully) built one of these Mini CD-Pro units - I'm having trouble.  I got it put together, but all I get is buzzing, crackling and distant sound.  Other digital sources play through the board with no problem.  I get no sound when I take the S/PDIF output directly from the Philips unit to the DAC.  Replacing the Philips unit made no difference (note:  CD-Pro2 supplier ENCO Systems - http://www.enco-group.com/ - is GREAT with customer service)

Hifidiy is trying to help but they seem kind of baffled too.  Anyone out there have any ideas? 

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #44 of 50
Only by choosing the appropriate output terminal - there's one for S/PDIF and one for I2S, and the connector for one won't fit in the other.  There's also one for "flash", which I think is an amp-ready analog signal (I believe there is a DAC on board the CD-Pro2).  I could be wrong there.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #45 of 50
Well, after a self imposed 2 year break from these projects I have started this one.  I have the player about 2/3rd's completed.  It's coming together nicely and I expect to make more progress tonight.  I can take pictures of certain angle that anybody wants.  I'll post the new English link to the kit's website later on tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back