Mini CD players
May 1, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 12
that look like a cool alternative to minidisc. i'm envisioning soon cd players will be very smal and play those cdrom that's small like those gamecube disc. how do the philips sound. read the review and seem like these things get buggy.

May 1, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 12
I've got the Phillips EXP-411, it's like the 401 but fewer bugs (they say). The sound quality is quite good, but the battery life is terrible, only 3 hours or so.

Minidisc really is a better way to go, MD players are smaller & fit better in a pocket, the sound quality is very good and battery life is super.

May 1, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Another reason why MD is better: you can fit a CD's worth on one MD, unlike MiniCDs.

But it wouldn't be full CD quality.

May 1, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gort

Quite true. But most mini-CD players support only MP3 playback - and may not support Redbook playback.

This is clearly a case in which one must sacrifice theoretical sound quality for a smaller size.
tongue.gif

May 1, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

HI-MD will give more than a full CD worth of PCM or full CD quality.

May 1, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
This is clearly a case in which one must sacrifice theoretical sound quality for a smaller size.
tongue.gif

But you don't have to sacrifice anything with iPod. I used to be a huge minidisc fan with MZR50 international version until iPod came out with lineout feature.

May 1, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

But you don't have to sacrifice anything with iPod. I used to be a huge minidisc fan with MZR50 international version until iPod came out with lineout feature.

Except battery life
evil_smiley.gif

I get something like 25 hours out of one AA with my MZ-R500.
icon10.gif

BTW, (not directed at gort) Mini CDs hold about 200 meg of data, enough for 2 albums encoded in high quality VBR MP3. The concept is good, but the implementations stink. If they could get the size down and the battery life up and maybe even use 8cm writeable DVD media, then mini players could rock, but there just isn't enough interest compared to hard drive players or even minidiscs. I guess the window of opportunity for getting these things launched has come and gone without anything taking off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back