mini 3 wallwart
May 18, 2009 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bjarnetv

500+ Head-Fier
i just got a mini 3 kit from glass jar audio, but it turns out that finding a suitable wallwart is easier said than done here in norway, so being a foolish DIY noob i was wondering how important it is to follow the specs on the amb website.

i have found several linear 12v Dc adapters but no 15-24v ones (except for one... that costs $50).

will a 12v wallwart be enough, and does it matter if it outputs more then 500ma?

thermal paste is also surprisingly expensive/difficult to find; is it essential or optional?

i will probably have som more stupid questions later, but these should be enough for now
duggehsmile.png

May 18, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 15
thanks, but farnell wont sell their stuff to ordinary humans, only to other enterprises.

edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could try making a treads into a wallwart.
As for thermal paste..you can buy arctic silver thermal paste used for CPUs..works great.

but the only store i could find that sells non conductive thermal paste doesnt have it in stock, and buying it on the internet means added shipping costs
redface.gif

what do you mean by making a treads into a wallwart?

May 18, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks, but farnell wont sell their stuff to ordinary humans, only to other enterprises.

edit:

but the only store i could find that sells non conductive thermal paste doesnt have it in stock, and buying it on the internet means added shipping costs
redface.gif

what do you mean by making a treads into a wallwart?

Here you go...

May 18, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurusan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't you just find an unregulated 12V or 15v linear adapter on ebay or something?

i guess thats the only solution if 12v regulated wont work.
the only problem as that it will probably take close to two weeks for the wallwart to arrive if i buy it on ebay, and i want a working amp right now dammit!
tongue.gif

does it matter if the wallwart is rated at something like 1A instead of 500mA?

May 21, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 15
according to the amb website there might be some issues with the third prong: "The AC-DC adapter should be fully isolated. That is, if it has a three-prong AC wall plug, the AC earth pin should not be internally connected to either the positive or negative outputs"

maybe this is something you could mod yourself if it turns out be be an issue?

i ended up taking my chances with one of these.
hope it works
wink.gif

May 21, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be more worried about the switchmode power supply from post #10 being isolated then the linear one you picked...

but wont it be isolated if doesnt have a ground pin? or did i perhaps misunderstand what isolated means
redface.gif

i also figured that there wouldnt be any problems with it being a switching power supply, since i wasnt planning on using the amp with the power supply connected. (as far as i understood, the only issue with using switching instead of linear PS was high frequency noise when connected)

May 30, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #15 of 15
i got the 15V "hong kong" wallwart i bought from ebay today.
it works great, with no noise when connected.

recommended if you cant find a suitable wallwart locally
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back