Mini 3 Amp
Jul 7, 2010 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Abovetheair

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking to make my own amp to make so I can start fully enjoying my music on my Mac Mini.

Is the Mini 3 a good begginer for a noob like me? I have no experience at assembling amps

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 7
It's not a difficult project. I found the casework more challenging. Just know that the Mini³ has a low tolerance of failure, but if you take your time, then it'll go well.

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 7
How long did it take you to build, also are any special soldering techniques needed?

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
How long did it take you to build, also are any special soldering techniques needed?

Took me about an hour. The SMD soldering was the hardest part, but that's over rated.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
It's not a difficult project. I found the casework more challenging. Just know that the Mini³ has a low tolerance of failure, but if you take your time, then it'll go well.

Case work can be made easy if you buy the excellent front and rear panels from AMB. They're not cheap but worth it.

A low tolerance of failure, I like that bit as it really describes making the Mini³. Just check out all those posts here and at the AMB forum

Making a Mini³ is well worth your trouble though, as it sounds really great. Good luck!

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 7
I took my time and spent at least 2 hours doing the actual building of the circuit.  Reading all of the problems listed above I decided I would rather take the extra time to make sure I had all part values and orientations correct, double checking each one.  Getting it right the first time will get you listening to the amp much sooner haha

It was my first SMD soldering experience, but it wasn't too difficult given my background in radio control hobbies.  I agree the face plates do take a long time to make.  I used the template from AMB on the stock hammond face plates and the holes were too big.  They also didnt line up quite right, so I did it by hand.   

My next project will be either the gamma 1 or gamma 2 from AMB.  It should be the last DAC I'll ever need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back