Mini³ Step by Step Build Log - UPDATED 3/20 (56k Warning!)
Mar 20, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #46 of 83
I agree with doing the fitting first. That is a great Idea. I do not know what you mean wiht "connect the polarity on the battery" though. You now have me worried that I did something wrong. What do I need to check?

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #47 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacc1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with doing the fitting first. That is a great Idea. I do not know what you mean wiht "connect the polarity on the battery" though. You now have me worried that I did something wrong. What do I need to check?

Oh I not saying you did anything wrong. Just saying that when you plug in the battery that you have the proper polarity. If you just connect the batt for a sec. backwards it will destroy the zener.

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #49 of 83
Quote:

Ok, is there any way to know if the zenner is dead?

Well if you plug in the battery and it melts, the zener is bad!
wink.gif

You can measure the resistance across it to make sure it is not 0 or near 0. However that just test if it failed short, it could fail open as well.

IF you amp passes all the checks on AMB site your zener is fine!

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #50 of 83
Well I did the tests before I messed with the batteries a few times and you not have me worried :p. I have used the amp all day and charged it last night. The only time I felt a bit of heat was this morning after it had been plugged in for a while.

Does that mean its safe to assume all is well?

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #51 of 83
Sounds like all is good. Great DIY walkthrough.

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #52 of 83
Quote:

Well I did the tests before I messed with the batteries a few times and you not have me worried :p. I have used the amp all day and charged it last night. The only time I felt a bit of heat was this morning after it had been plugged in for a while.

Does that mean its safe to assume all is well?

yeah you are good. What I mean by melted is exactly that, within a few minutes the battery case will physically melt. shorting a battery to ground (ie shorted zener) will do that.

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #54 of 83
Almost finished with my mini^3 project too. Was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I think most of the credit goes to the new 25 watt Weller soldering iron and Cardas quad eutectic solder. Just about finished
beyersmile.png
the whole thing in one night.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #55 of 83
Excellent photos.

I caught one thing in your text however
Quote:

U2 is slightly more difficult to install. The TLE2426CLP chips legs are a bit more stiff and need to be bent down at a 90 degree angle.

U2 is the 7812 regulator not the TLE2426.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #57 of 83
Can anyone post a link to the LED they are using in this build. I can only find LED`s with higher intensity values than what the standard build recommends.
Thanks, From a Newbee

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #60 of 83
The battery contacts ended up causing me more problems then anything else. I did not trim them down and because of that my battery was too tall to fit in the case. I ended up having to cut them apart to remove them because I could not de-solder them in one piece. Luckily I had a second pair for my other board but the moral is to trim off about 2mm of metal from all sides. You will also need to trim down the legs so they will go in deeper. Before you solder in the contacts connect them to a dead 9v and put them in place then try to insert it in the case. It might take a bit of force but just make sure you can get it all the way in and out.
END

You can also put a 9v battery snap holder instead of using the provided holders... it should work also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back