Millett Tube Portable amp
Jun 25, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #316 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by onocentaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nope, I've definitely got a channel imbalance. No steady tone but ABing with my hornet and the headphone out on my ipod and it's obvious; furthermore at really low volumes I'm only getting sound through one channel.
Bugger.
So now I have to send it back. I love the sound of this amp, but I have to ask myself: do I really want to wait another three weeks for an amp that may not work? This is the second now.
frown.gif
I might get very upset if I get a third messed-up one.

If you would be willing to try an experiment before you return the amp. Turn the amp off and repeatedly move the volume pot through its entire range from zero to max. Do this 15 to 20 times. It would be great if you had a "tuner" spray cleaner or de-oxit to due a quick spray and then due the above test.

Anyways getting back to the test, reconect and turn on to see if the imbalance went away. Sometimes new pots perform poorly. If fixed I would let Todd know in case it repeats in the future. Otherwise send it back for an exchange and request that Todd checks it before being shipped. Good luck.

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #317 of 371
Or if you know how to use a soldering iron just have them mail you a new pot. Some pots have exception tracking, which is what Xin now uses, and some are so-so.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #318 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or if you know how to use a soldering iron just have them mail you a new pot. Some pots have exception tracking, which is what Xin now uses, and some are so-so.

What is exception tracking?

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #319 of 371
Sorry, I meant exceptional.

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #320 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you would be willing to try an experiment before you return the amp. Turn the amp off and repeatedly move the volume pot through its entire range from zero to max. Do this 15 to 20 times. It would be great if you had a "tuner" spray cleaner or de-oxit to due a quick spray and then due the above test.

Thanks, I did already try this, with no improvement.

I have decided that I will stick with trying to get this amp right. As you say, sbulack, the sound really is worth it; I wouldn't be able to listen to anything else without being annoyed at myself for lack of patience.
Actually I would be happy with me soldering a new pot in, if it is indeed the pot that's at fault. I just have to somehow get Todd to reply to my emails now!

Thanks for your help guys
smily_headphones1.gif

[edit] Well my second TTVJ MHP (I'm writing it so many times I think it's time for an acronym) is on its way back to Todd. I just spoke to him and I'm going to get number three (third time lucky, right? ...right?), but not for at least a week because he's currently having a large batch built. (They've become very popular apparently... which is well deserved, but why do I keep getting the statistically likely, but still annoying, duff ones?!).
Anyway. AARRggghH! I guess I can be thankful that it's not Xin I'm waiting for...

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #321 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by onocentaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I did already try this, with no improvement.

I have decided that I will stick with trying to get this amp right. As you say, sbulack, the sound really is worth it; I wouldn't be able to listen to anything else without being annoyed at myself for lack of patience.
Actually I would be happy with me soldering a new pot in, if it is indeed the pot that's at fault. I just have to somehow get Todd to reply to my emails now!

Thanks for your help guys
smily_headphones1.gif

[edit] Well my second TTVJ MHP (I'm writing it so many times I think it's time for an acronym) is on its way back to Todd. I just spoke to him and I'm going to get number three (third time lucky, right? ...right?), but not for at least a week because he's currently having a large batch built. (They've become very popular apparently... which is well deserved, but why do I keep getting the statistically likely, but still annoying, duff ones?!).
Anyway. AARRggghH! I guess I can be thankful that it's not Xin I'm waiting for...

Try calling him, I have found out that with his busy schedule a phone call is much quicker. Good luck and you have a great sounding amp.

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #323 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the wait time for ordering Millet at the moment? or there is no wait time for Millet?

When I ordered one from TTVJ over a weekend, I got the notice that it had shipped on Monday, and the amp arrived (in Philadelphia, PA, USA) on Wednesday.

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #324 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I ordered one from TTVJ over a weekend, I got the notice that it had shipped on Monday, and the amp arrived (in Philadelphia, PA, USA) on Wednesday.

Does anyone try this with sensitives IEM like UE-10Pro or Sensaphonics? When I use my Sensaphonics 2X-S with EarMax Pro Tube Amps, I could hear hissing and noise, it's not black black like the Ray Samuels amp, which I find overtime very distracting. How is it with Millet? is it really dead dead quiet?

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #325 of 371
Quote:

Does anyone try this with sensitives IEM like UE-10Pro or Sensaphonics? When I use my Sensaphonics 2X-S with EarMax Pro Tube Amps, I could hear hissing and noise, it's not black black like the Ray Samuels amp, which I find overtime very distracting. How is it with Millet? is it really dead dead quiet?

With my E500 I hear hissing on both the TTVJ MILLET and with RSA portable amps. However the volume is at 2pm or more. Way to loud for me.
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #326 of 371
Quote:

With my E500 I hear hissing on both the TTVJ MILLET and with RSA portable amps. However the volume is at 2pm or more. Way to loud for me.
wink.gif

That should be no problem then.
Thanks Mrarroyo dan Volron for the PM. Apparently, I listen to Broad range of music namely Jazz, classical, R&B, Rock.

When I am at the Gym I am definitely in ahe mood for something hard.
smily_headphones1.gif

I love SM LE since it is got a slightly tubey feelings as well there is a bassboost that I can always turn on when I need something hard. The detail and texture are also very impressive.

The reason I am considering the Hornet is because a lot of posts on how Hornet synergizes well with ES-2. I believe in synergy a lot.

A lot of times I prefer Solid State than Tubes when it comes to jazz, since the detail,the blackness, the separation, the transparency, and the attack/texture that Tubes often couldn't portray.

Perhaps I should better go to Millet since Hornet somewhat sounds similar to SM LE?

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #327 of 371
Quote:

- giving them a fullness of sound and natural presence that I had not enjoyed with them before (from CD).

Hi Sbulack,
The fullness of sound, does this mean that it has an upfront sound presentation? usually upfront presentation kills the soundstage no?

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #328 of 371
Quote:

As things are developing I believe this amp will soon have a new owner. I will stay with my SR71 or LaRocco PRII MkII. Do not misunderstand me, it is a nice amp, but IMO it is not a must have amp. I am sure others will have different points of view and that is how this hobbie goes.

HI Mrarroyo,

Could you please elaborate a little bit on why you would stay with SR71 instead of the Millet? What didn't you find suitable for your Millet with IEM compared to the big phones? Also how come you didn't like it with the Ety? Any special signature?

I won't be using the Millet with big phones since the main concern is portability. Also my big phones stays at home with my Earmax Pro which is a better dedicated sophisticated desktop amp IMO.

Thanks

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #329 of 371
Quote:

Hi Sbulack,
The fullness of sound, does this mean that it has an upfront sound presentation? usually upfront presentation kills the soundstage no?

When I listen to Yes albums, the sound tends (to my ear) to be on the thin side - unnaturally skewed toward the treble, and also unnaturally washed out, lacking the textural and timbral subtleties of musical instruments. With the TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid Amp, the sound is "filled out", where the spectral balance, textural and timbral information that is there is better portrayed, with the result that the performance on the album sounds quite a bit more like the band is live. The filling out of the sound also helps the presentation of the spatial properties of the music - making for a more natural, live sounding soundstage as well. As I mentioned in that previous post, I was thinking that I might have to go to a vinyl rig to get this kind of enjoyment from my Yes albums. It's quite a bargain to have this kind of listening instrument in the TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid Amp.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #330 of 371
Quote:

... Here's a "killer" audio path I've stumbled upon with the TTVJ Millett Portable Hybrid Amp...

Winamp playing 320 kbps mp3s or CDs (Direct Sound output) ->
Stock Computer USB Port ->
Monster "Ultimate Performance" USB Cable ($30, on ebay for $15), ->
Creative MP3+ USB SoundCard (Creative sells refurb'd on ebay for $20) ->
Fitz RCA-to-mini (a sweet-spot "gem") ->
TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid Amp ->
Yuin PK1 ->
my (very likely highly idiosyncratic) ears.

I'll apolgize for bringing this audio path up again, but, I just bought another Creative MP3+ USB Sound Card as a replacement for the two I have installed in my rigs, one at home and one at work. I've been listening to my main rig with several $$$ Power Cords, a 24V STEPS PSU, a $$$ IC, a separate CD transport and DAC, a PPA with discrete buffer and optimized to my ears with OPA627's, and my Summer favorites - the SR225's. If you add it up, it cost me quite a bit more than the audio path described above including the TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid Amp. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY enjoy the sound from my main rig(s) and they are NOT going up on the FS forum. Yet, I'm getting SQ that has differences from that of my main rig (and I am VERY happy for those differences) and is in the same Quality bracket as my main rig. What is great about that is that I can have that SQ at work because of the size and transportability of the source and amp and low sound leakage of the PK1. And here I am at home, with the PPA and M^3 looking on while I listen to my work rig. Again, I'm just floored at the synergy of the audio path above.

OK, I feel so much better now that I've repeated for emphasis how amazing I've found this particular audio path (including the TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid Amp) to be. I won't bring it up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back