Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Nov 24, 2009 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

swedishhatfaction

New Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations on your build! It looks nice and solid! I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised to discover that it also sounds really good

As for tests go, here's what I do:

1.- Switch the amp on with no source or 'phones attached and watch for sparks or smoke. Obviously if there are sparks and/or smoke you must turn the amp off immediately and start debugging.

2.- Wait for the tube filaments to start glowing (this should take 30 seconds at most). If they don't come up you can start debugging the circuit.

3.- Use my multimeter and measure DC voltage at the power supply jack (48V) and at the tube filaments (19 v).

4- Use my multimeter and measure DC voltage at the output jack, both left and right. Repeat the measurement at the RCA jacks. Voltages should be 0 (zero). If they're not zero, you have to debug.

5.- If the amp passes all the previous tests, I'll turn the volume knob all the way down, plug in some cheap earbuds at the output, my portable CD player at the input and play some music.

6.- If all went ok, I'll plug in my nice 'phones and enjoy some cool tunes!

One last tip if you haven't read the rest of the tread. Try not to power the amp on or off while your 'phones are plugged in
k701smile.gif

cheers!

Really useful tips for noobs like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back