Millett MAX with GrubDAC: input source switching
Aug 17, 2011 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

hitman47

Head-Fier
Hello everybody, I'm planning on building 2 Millett Mosfet-MAXs (one of them as a birthday present for my father) and I have a question (which I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask, but I couldn't find anything with the forum search) about the new PCB, which includes a section for a grubDAC or BantamDAC board: How exactly is the input source switching between the RCA plugs and the DAC input handled? What's included in the BOM and what will I have to order additionally? I couldn't find any information on this subject anywhere, so forgive me if this question has been previously answered.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Edit: After looking at some more pictures of assembled amps/populated PCBs, it looks to me like the only thing I'd have to buy in addition to the BOM parts is a simple SPST switch that has to be connected to the 2-position terminal below the space for the DAC board and the switching is done with a relay that is included, is this correct?

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 2

Quote:
Hello everybody, I'm planning on building 2 Millett Mosfet-MAXs (one of them as a birthday present for my father) and I have a question (which I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask, but I couldn't find anything with the forum search) about the new PCB, which includes a section for a grubDAC or BantamDAC board: How exactly is the input source switching between the RCA plugs and the DAC input handled? What's included in the BOM and what will I have to order additionally? I couldn't find any information on this subject anywhere, so forgive me if this question has been previously answered.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Edit: After looking at some more pictures of assembled amps/populated PCBs, it looks to me like the only thing I'd have to buy in addition to the BOM parts is a simple SPST switch that has to be connected to the 2-position terminal below the space for the DAC board and the switching is done with a relay that is included, is this correct?

Yes, that's correct.

Most everything you need to know can be found on the MOSFET-MAX website:
http://www.diyforums.org/MOSFET-MAX.

Although, admittedly, the information on the relay-switching of the input sources is a little sparse.  You've got the picture, though.  Looking at the PCB from the front (headphone jack and volume pot), the 3-connector terminal block on the left (at the rear) is setup for the DAC input as a source.  The 3-connector terminal block on the right (at the rear) is setup for RCA-jack input as a source.  The RCA-jack input source is default.  IOW, you need to wire a switch up to the 2-connector terminal block at the left in the area, in order to be able to switch from the RCA-jack input to the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back