Millett "Crossfeed" effect?
Jan 1, 2006 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

diredesire

100+ Head-Fier
Cross posted at diyforums. Looking for a quick reply, pulling my hair out here
frown.gif

Hey everyone,
Just got my millet up and running, and it sounds fine, but it sounds like i'm getting a bit of a "crossfeed" effect on mine. Sounds are very quietly played in the other channel, and i'm having a bit of imbalance to the left side. It's a very weird problem, i'm getting no vocals in the right ear, but guitars/background music are coming through. I swapped between my iPod and millet (using my iPod as an easy source) and i'm getting some crosstalk or something.

When i remove one input from the rear, both headphones play the lone input, when i remove the other input, it does the same thing. I'm not really sure what's going on, is this normal?

If not, anyone have any idea what it might be?

Thanks in advance, i'm going to do a little more tweaking to find out if it's my tubes or something...

Would braiding the output wires to the headphone jack be an indicator of this? I've never heard of THAT much crosstalk due to twisted wiring...

Would a faulty buffer stack cause this?

(Just trying to throw out some things it MIGHT be...)

Edit:
Config is basically standard. I stacked the bandwidth resistors to halve their values since i am using a buffer stack. Wima polypropylenes in all positions, Nichicon 470uF caps in all places except for elna low impedence 470 uF 35v in the 2 smaller positions.

I'm using 2x Tung-Sol Matched 12FK6 tubes, bias is at about 13v. Powered by the Elpac 24v adapter listed in the parts list. I originally had the power going through a tread, but i just can't find a nice spot in the case for it, so i got rid of it. I'll put it in my next build.... Dunno what other info to give. I'm not putting up pics just yet because it seems my build is working correctly o_O Just wondering if anyone's experienced this problem.

Jan 1, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 5
Do you have the inputs and outputs wired correctly?

I ask because your description leads me to believe that the right side is wired to the ground instead of where it should be.
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX

I ask because your description leads me to believe that the right side is wired to the ground instead of where it should be.
wink.gif

Yeah kinda seems like the polarity might be switched on one of the inputs.

Jan 1, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 5
Yup, I'd bet dollars to donuts you've got either the input or the output wired incorrectly. I've lost count of the number of times that I've done this.

HTH,

Nate

Jan 1, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX

wink.gif

Yep, i actually figured it out late last night, the tip was wired to the ground and vice versa. It was definitely a dumb mistake, which is why i didn't catch it earlier. It was my first time working with the neutrik 1/4" connector, which for some reason, i thought the lug closest to the opening was left for some reason...

Chalk it up to inexperience, i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back