Millet Max VS LD MKIII VS Darkvoice 336SE
Jan 10, 2009 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

nsx_23

Headphoneus Supremus
I was contemplating buying a LD MKIII when I'm in Hong Kong next week, but browsing through the for sale section I saw a Millet max which I'm extremely tempted to snap up.

My big problem is that I'm also on the hunt for a set of high-end cans, and was thinking of buying either the Denon D2000, AKG K702, DT880 or the HD650, neither of which I haven really auditioned long enough to make a judgement on. I'm leaning towards D2000 because its quiet a bit less than the HD650, but who knows. I'll finally get a chance to test them next week when I visit mingo in Hong Kong.

I'm getting a desktop pimeta next week already, and am wanting a tube amp to go with my new set of cans, whatever they maybe, and I was wanting to get some advice from people who've heard either one of the 3 tube amps to comment on their sound signature and how they pair with various headphones. Source for now will be a iRiver H320 via Line-out, but that will change in the not too distant future to a Marantz or CA CD player.

I've searched and read some very in-depth reviews of the MKIII, but want more impressions of the darkvoice and Millet.

I prefer a slightly bright, lively sound with deep, rich bass and nicely resolved and slightly forward vocals (especially for Jazz tracks like Diana Krall).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing all my research work now so when I get to HK I know immediately what to look out for. Also, would it be worth picking up some tubes whilst I'm there for experimentation?
darthsmile.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 34
Millet Max is not bright, its on the warmer side of things. On the other hand, it is also much better than the other two amps you are considering, clean and spacious sound with plenty of power even in the lows.

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 34
I think the choice revolves around which headphone you ultimately choose. I own a DV 336ES and the amp is extremely good with Senn 580/600/650s ... and if you like the high impedance Beyer DT880s I would bet the DV drives them well too. But, require the 336SE to drive low impedance headphones and they dont do nearly as well.

I have several hybrids .... Millet Starving Student, Millet Max, SOHA/ JISBOS. All the hybrids do a great job with low impedance headphones. But, only the SOHA/ JISBOS (maxxed with high end parts) does a particularly good job with the high impedance Senns. The Millet MAX is ok and the Millet SS is adequate but clearly not up the DV 336SE level.

So, low impedance Denon or AKG .... I would suggest one of the hybrids. High impedance Senns or Beyers I would try the DV 336SE. The DV build quality and tube compliment, along with having heard the DV synergy with the Senns caused me to pick the DV over the LD when I was interested in trying another one of the inexpensive Chinese tube amps like you are now.

On a slightly different topic ....

You say you want this in a headphone .... I prefer a slightly bright, lively sound with deep, rich bass and nicely resolved and slightly forward vocals (especially for Jazz tracks like Diana Krall).

None of the headphones you listed have all those traits. Slightly bright, lively sound = Beyer; possibly AKG. Deep rich bass = Denon or Senn. Nicely resolved, slightly forward vocals = Beyer; Denon with some amps. Somewhere there is going to be a compromise. The Senns in particular dont read like they would be your cup of tea.

I would probably focus on the Beyer/ DV 336SE combo or a Denon/ hybrid combo to get most of the characteristics you want. However, I would listen to as much as you can, as IME, most people dont really know what they want until they hear it.

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 34
Hmm, from my other thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/nee...advice-397531/

These are the headphones that have been recommended:

1) Beyerdynamic DT880
2) Beyerdynamic DT990
3) Denon D2000
4) Denon D5000
5) Sennheiser HD600
6) Sennheiser HD650
7) AKG K702
8) Ultrasone Proline 750
9) Ultrasone Proline 2500
10) Ultrasone Proline 900

I currently have Proline 550s, and love them, but am looking for more.

I intend to test those headphones out when I'm in Hong Kong at the end of next week, but I have no idea which amp to buy since I can't really test out a Millet Max. Denon D2000 gets my attention mainly due to its much lower price, but my gut feeling is Sennheiser HD650 or Proline 900.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have several hybrids .... Millet Starving Student, Millet Max, SOHA/ JISBOS. All the hybrids do a great job with low impedance headphones. But, only the SOHA/ JISBOS (maxxed with high end parts) does a particularly good job with the high impedance Senns. The Millet MAX is ok and the Millet SS is adequate but clearly not up the DV 336SE level.

Agree to disagree. =)

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree to disagree. =)

Have you ever heard the DV 336se with the Senns at all? Have you ever directly compared the Millet to the DV 336se? What are you basing the Millet Max is better than the other two amps on .... reputation or experience? What Millet Max are you even referring to .... a specific DIY build or one of the Headroom models? You havent given much input other than a statement of preferance with no background as to why.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 34
I recommend the D2000 for the deep, rich bass, but I wouldn't describe the vocals as forward though.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 34
The millet I'm interested in is actually in the For Sale section on this very forum: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...id-max-398085/

The really big problem at the moment is headphones since I haven't bought them yet. I guess I don't want to buy the amp first, then find out that the cans I buy don't work too well with it since I can't exactly take the Millet overseas with me next week now can I...

I guess "forward" vocals is exaggerating it a bit. I want it to be there, but not overwhelm everything else.

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm leaning towards HD650 at the moment, and the Millet may well pair nicely with that from I've read.

I find the Millets awesome with my Alessandros. Maybe the sound is so good with the low impedance Alessandros I discount how good the Senns sound to most people with the Millet amp. However, there is no doubt in my mind the Millets do best with low impedance headphones. There is no substitue for tubes with the Senns IMO. The Dark Voice 336SE with a TS 6080 output tube and a Sylvania 6GU7 for gain has everything .... rich powerful bass, speed, dyanmics and a very transparent and open soundstage. You have to go well up the amp chain to do as well with the Sennheisers.

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 34
As the owner and builder of the Millett Max in question, I feel I can help here......
wink.gif

I'd be interested to know the output resistances of the Millett hybrids you've heard. My amp for sale currently has 10R Kiwame output resistors in it. This makes it a bit less of an ideal match for sensitive low impedance phones than the default Max which has 22R Vishays. Tube noise is ever-so-slightly audible with AD900 and ESW9 at normal listening volumes. Alessandro and Grado are a touch less sensitive than these so it might not be a problem. Denon are a touch more sensitive, so I suspect it would be a problem.

However, the low output impedance also makes it better than the average Max for higher impedance phones. Jumpering the resistors will improve it even further, though probably not necessary. I personally like having them there to protect the buffer from output shorts.

And just to make note of the price, I'm coming in at about US$120 below the cost of the Darkvoice 336SE shipped from Jasmine Chine on eBay.

Hope this helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #15 of 34
So maybe the darkvoice will be a better match with the HD650 instead of the millet?

Hmm, according to HK prices, the Darkvoice 336SE will come in at $395AUD, the LD MKIII comes in at $258AUD, and the Millet is about $350AUD. Alternatively, the LD MK IV will come in at $403AUD.

I'm trying to limit the amount spent on amp so I can spend more on a set of top-shelve cans. Having said that, a high-end set of cans will require a decent amplifier. My big limiting factor is source, but that is also a work in progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back