Millet Hybrid Construction Thread
Jun 27, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #31 of 441
OK...I jiggled the DC male plug and the tubes lit up! It appears the problem is the female is not gripping the male plug. Well, that's easy to fix.
biggrin.gif

I am soooo close to completion but....upon initially testing the unit with a PCDP conected I am getting music from the left headphone speaker but not the right.
confused.gif
What I hear in the right side upon power up is a sound similar to a TV starting up, sort of a hum that builds, and then cuts out.

1. Is it a matter of adjusting the bias?
2. Is my 24VDC, 400mA wallwart powerful enough to power the 12fk6 tubes?
3. Something else?

Jun 27, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #32 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdon
OK...I jiggled the DC male plug and the tubes lit up! It appears the problem is the female is not gripping the male plug. Well, that's easy to fix.
biggrin.gif

I too have an issue similar to this. Its something to do with what type of dc in connector you have on the amp vs the one on the adaptor. For instance, the mouser switchcraft 2.5/5.5mm plugs (Mouser 502-760) doesn't mate well with the kobicon 163-1100 jack (the plastic isolating one). However, the plug on the wire recommended for a STEPS build (72" 18 Gauge with 2.5mm/5.5mm connector at one end, Mouser P/N 172-4201) works well with the plastic jack. Also, the switchcraft plugs work great on the metal 2.5mm/5.5mm jack (Mouser P/N 163-1025). And by not working well, I mean that it doesnt always make a good connection. Something to keep in mind.

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #33 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
How do you go about matching tubes?

I just have the place I order from match them. It's only like $1 extra, and the tubes are cheap as hell, so your wallet doesn't take a huge hit.

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #34 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I just have the place I order from match them. It's only like $1 extra, and the tubes are cheap as hell, so your wallet doesn't take a huge hit.

And what place is that?

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #35 of 441
Google 'Radio Electric Supply'. I always call them on the phone, they are very helpful and have always shipped my order the same day
cool.gif
Sorry, I should have mentioned them in my first post.

Jun 27, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #36 of 441
Hello

I'm planning to build a "semi-maxed" version of Millet Hybrid but have some trouble getting the caps recommended here because I live in Europe.

Currently my list is following:

* electrolytes: Pana FC + Elna Starget on audio (could probably get os-cons but they are quite pricey)

* polypropylene: no known good choices seem to be available... Lot of different Evox Rifa-s available, which would probably be good for non-audio path. Wima MKP10-s are available, but only starting with 630V which is 22.5mm for 0.1uF, 0.068uF is 15mm would it be too low? Also, some Vishay-Roederstein MKP1837 seem to be available in suitable format and price.

What would you suggest from these options to get a best bang for buck type of amplifier with upgraded audio path parts?

The international catalogues I have access are RS and Elfa.

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #37 of 441
Anyone knows if tubestore match tubes? I emailed them and never got any answer.

Jun 28, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #38 of 441
the Vishay-Roederstein MKP1837 should be a good pick, though they are metallized polypropylene (like Wima MKP-4 250V, they fit perfect on the board). Polypropylene film (e.g. Panasonic ECQ-P) are better for audio-path use, but more difficult to get (afaik only digikey).

For power rail bypassing metallized polys like Wima or Vishay MKP are fine.

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #39 of 441
Has anyone heard of "Arcotronics Nissei" caps? They should be "film foil polypropylene" but never heard of this company before. Anyway I ordered these for audio path and evox rifas for power section. Maybe next week I can comment on their sound
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #42 of 441
Jun 28, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #43 of 441
yes, miniature 7 sockets are the right ones for this amp

I ordered and received my tubes from the states already. Please note that group buys are on hold atm, talk to a mod (rickcr42, JMT, Voodoochile) before you start a thread.

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #44 of 441
Well, I easily adjusted the bias to 12V on the Left Channel old school analog style.
eek.gif

However, the right Channel is still giving me problems.
confused.gif
After turning the screw clockwise and couterclockwise to the "click," the bias is stuck at 24V. Could it be a
1. Faulty pot?
2. Bad soldering point?
3. Other?

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #45 of 441
Fire up the digital camera and shoots some clear, detailed pics of the top and bottom of the board, that'll help us trouble shoot it with you. With the 24V bias are you still getting no sound out of the right channel?

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back