Miles Davis: The Complete Columbia Album Collection (Amazon.com Exclusive)
Dec 3, 2009 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LevA

500+ Head-Fier
Just a heads up to Miles Davis fans, there is a 70 CD Amazon exclusive special edition Box set out.
There has been some issues with glue on disk from CD jackets and with boxes being too flimsy that most got crushed during shipping. So the whole set has been recalled and will be issued soon after correcting those problems (see amazon note).

The box set will be around $300. Hopefully once they fix all the problems it should be a nice price for such a set.
I am pretty new to the genre, and only slowly getting into Jazz. not sure if this is something for me but I do enjoy the two Miles Davis albums I have immensely (Kind of Blue & Sketches of Spain 50th Anniversary).
Here's some info from amazon on the set. there's also a review on stereophile which comments on the good quality sound of the CDs..

Quote:

Product Description
Exclusive to Amazon.com, Columbia/Legacy presents Miles Davis: The Complete Columbia Album Collection, a deluxe, limited edition retrospective of the iconic music Miles Davis created during his 30 years with Columbia Records.This exquisite package, comprised of 70 CDs and 1 DVD, contains all 52 of Miles’ Columbia recordings in Japanese-styled mini LP jackets and includes a 250-page book with a biography, a fully annotated discography, a complete song index, and rare photos.

Appearing on DVD for the first time in this box is Live in Europe ’67, shot in Stockholm and Karlsruhe during the Miles Davis Quintet’s European tour of 1967. Completely remastered from the original broadcast tapes, these performances feature Miles with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and Tony Williams. In addition to the DVD, there will be a first-time audio release of the full performance from the 1970 Isle of Wight festival. Bonus tracks and other rarities that have been added to the CD reissues of individual albums in past years are also included.

•Limited Edition - Only Manufactured Once!
•52 albums on 70 CDs in mini-LP replica jackets
•Previously Unreleased DVD: Live In Europe ‘67
•250 page color book with biography, fully annotated discography and complete song index
•Previously unreleased and rare audio on In Paris Festival International De Jazz, Quiet Nights, At Plugged Nickel Chicago, and We Want Miles, in addition to previously released bonus material from past reissues
•First time ever complete audio release of the August 29th, 1970, Isle of Wight festival performance

Amazon.com: The Complete Columbia Album Collection (Amazon.com Exclusive): Miles Davis: Music

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 8
Oh wow. Thanks for the heads up dude, I definitely want to pick this up when my budget allows.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 8
^^ You're welcome. start saving!
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 8
If it really is 'Only Manufactured Once', that doesn't bode well for our chances of getting non-defective copies. The note on that page seems slightly less than a promise that corrected versions will actually appear.

Dec 4, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Flower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it really is 'Only Manufactured Once', that doesn't bode well for our chances of getting non-defective copies. The note on that page seems slightly less than a promise that corrected versions will actually appear.

well they stopped selling the set so I assume they are going to fix the problem. also in stereophile there is a mention of sony fixing the box and glue issue. I'm pretty hopeful that they will do the right thing.
here's the review from stereophile

Quote:

The Miles box (put out by Sony/Legacy) is more complicated. They all sound quite good, as most of Miles’ Columbia recordings did. (Yes, the original pressings of the mid-to-late ‘60s LPs were less than stellar, but, as we found out much later, with the Mosaic reissues, that was because of the era’s vinyl—or dreadful EQ on the production tapes—not because of the master tapes.)

These are, with few exceptions, the best-sounding CDs of these albums out there, taken from the most recent remasterings. (Of course, the LP reissues by Classic Records are far superior. I should add that the box includes only Miles’ Columbia albums, not those for Blue Note, Prestige, or Warner Bros.)

Sony/Legacy’s P.R. department informs me that the following discs in the box were taken from DSD masters: Directions, Quiet Nights, We Want Miles, Star People, Decoy, and Aura.

The following came from Japanese masters: Circle in the Round, Miles in Tokyo, At Filmore 1970, On the Corner, Get Up with It, Pangaea, The Man with the Horn, E.S.P., Filles de Kilimanjaro, Black Beauty, You’re Under Arrest, and Agharta.

I can’t claim to have done comprehensive A/Bs, but for the random selection of 10 or so that I did compare, the discs in the box sound at least as good as the single discs that have been out in the market for a while, except for Aura, which, for some reason, lacks some of the original CD’s depth and dynamics.

The box is available only from amazon.com for under $300, or about $5 per disc: not bad.

One thing I’ve just learned while writing this: Some customers have complained to amazon that the boxes have been crushed in the mail and that some of the discs have specks of glue from their thin cardboard sleeves. As a result, Sony/Legacy is in the midst of a recall and will soon put out sturdier boxes and re-glued folders. I should say that my box came in fine shape and that, while a few discs had a speck of glue, my (constantly bitten) fingernails removed it with no problem—and no sonic detriment.

Stereophile: Fred Kaplan Blog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back