Miles Davis - So What 2:00 in, cymbals "moving"
Dec 27, 2015 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

fjrabon

Headphoneus Supremus
So this has always been something that I've wondered about, but I've never found anything that ever talked about it, and I even bought a book that was entirely about the recording of Kind of Blue.

So, anyway, at about 2 minutes in to the stereo version, you notice Jimmy Cobb's cymbal work to abruptly shift from a right center location in the soundstage to a much harder right.  In the opening it's almost like there's a stereo effect of having dual microphones on his cymbals on each side being applied to his cymbals, and it almost sounds like the left mic got suddenly muted.  I have no idea if that's actually what happened, but I was wondering if anybody else had ever noticed this, and had any clues as to what was going on there.  

The stereo type effect on his cymbals kicks in around 1:30 as Jimmy signals the intro to Miles' solo. Then at 2:01 it fairly abruptly goes away.

Another thought is maybe it was John Coltrane moving to a position that more blocked bleed from Jimmy's cymbals into his mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back