Miles Davis' Kind of Blue: Where to next?
Mar 11, 2006 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

The_X

1000+ Head-Fier
I REALLY love Kind of Blue. I've been listening to it for a while and I want to move onto some more of Miles Davis' stuff. Problem is, he's got so many recordings and styles that it's intimidating for a newbie like myself. I bought Sketches of Spain, but I found the style to not be completely to my liking. I'm not a huge fan of the fusion of classical and jazz that seems to be going on there. So, after Kind of Blue, can you guys give me some suggestions about what else to buy? Thanks!

Mar 11, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 7
First of all, unless you want something COMPLETELY different, don't start with Bitches Brew.

To begin with, I would branch out into the work from the same era of the KoB session players. Some examples off the top of my head: Bill Evans: Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Waltz for Debby, Everybody Digs Bill Evans; John Coltrane: Blue Train, My Favorite Things, Thelonius Monk and John Coltrane Live at Carnegie Hall (newly discovered and issued); stuff from Cannonball Adderly, etc.

For Miles himself, a great second step would be either Cookin' or Relaxin'.

Basically, anything from that particular "golden age" of jazz (roughly 1955-1963) that is still in print will give you what you are looking for. There's a lot to explore there.

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 7
I love it when people discover Miles for the first time.The mans music is brilliant!I love Bitches Brew,but some people don't.On The Corner is another sugestion.Their is so much good stuff by Miles at different times in his carrer.The music from his band with Ron Carter and Herbie Hancock has all ways been some of my favorite stuff bt Miles.

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 7
Going backwards from Kind of Blue I would definitely start with Milestones (1958) and then any of the Relaxin', Steamin', Workin' and Cookin' albums (1955).

Moving forward from Kind of Blue to the 'second great quintet' I would recommend E.S.P. (1965), Miles Smiles (1966) and Nefertiti (1967).

After these you have the fusion years where the classics are In a Silent Way (1969), Bitches Brew (1969) and A Tribute to Jack Johnson (1970).

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 7
Doc nailed it, as much of what followed from Miles strayed from the style you are enjoying with Kind of Blue, but there are other Miles albums of the same era that are also pretty awesome.

Miles Davis Greatest Hits (the one with So What, 'Round Midnight, as there could be a few greatest hit type CDs for Miles)

Freddie Hubbard had some great stuff in that era (and afterwards) as well, and the album "Straight No Chaser" by Thelonious Monk is classic.

Much of Mile's later stuff after the classic era is quite different, and I could never get into it. Sometimes I put on Bitches Brew for "something completely different", but I really think they phoned it in on that session, and find it kind of pointless. Especially compared to the incredible heights they scaled with the Kind of Blue era recordings.

If you want to venture out into some other styles of jazz post bop/cool, try "Light as a Feather" by Return to Forever (Chick Corea), and "Time Out" by Dave Brubeck. Apologies if you know about this stuff and that was obvious, or if that's not what you meant.

-- Gordie

Mar 15, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 7
I would recommend Some Day My Prince Will Come CD by Miles Davis. This is around the same period of Kinda of Blue. I personally love ESP but this is moving away from that sound/ period of Kinda Blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back