Mild hiss with MEElectronic A151 on Surface Pro
Apr 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

OttoRobba

New Head-Fier
I'm getting a mild white noise hiss on the MEElectronics A151 when using the Surface Pro notebook/tablet/whaterver. It does not show up when using it on my Galaxy S2.

Now, I'm not saying there is a hiss in music but rather that, from the moment I plug it in, I can hear it. If I leave the phones in my ear and just remove the plug, the hissing stops. This hissing does not depend at all on volume (even when muted or at 100% volume, it stays at the same mild level).
I'm guessing the Surface has a really ****ty soundcard.

It is a shame because I like the sound signature for the A151 and when playing music or viewing movies the hiss is barely audible - people wouldn't notice it unless they looked for it I guess. But I know it is there so it kinda inevitably annoys me.

Is there anything software wise that I could do to fix that (not gonna buy an amp) or should I just return the headphones and get less sensitive ones?

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 5
I don't think any software will ever fix this problem, it is more of an electric issue here

I face the same problem with my Dunu Ares (which hisses pretty badly) and to a smaller extent, the BA200

I believe phones are better sources in general so you would not hear any hiss at all.

Ultimately, unless you find it extremely bothersome, I don't think it is something you really need to be concerned about.

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 5
See, now I'm starting to think this is windows 8 related. I was messing around with the artrage 4 demo and some tools make tactile noises and whatnot. I noticed that there was no more hissing at one point. Disconnect and reconnect the headphone, there is the hiss again. I'm thinking of making a bootable usb to check if it happens with ubuntu as well.

Apparently the hiss stops after some time has passed until the last audio output of the computer. Maybe the computer puts the headphones on idle/sleep or something?
Yep. Stay long enough without using anything that makes sounds and it stops. Make a sound, it goes back to hissing. Weird.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
See, now I'm starting to think this is windows 8 related. I was messing around with the artrage 4 demo and some tools make tactile noises and whatnot. I noticed that there was no more hissing at one point. Disconnect and reconnect the headphone, there is the hiss again. I'm thinking of making a bootable usb to check if it happens with ubuntu as well.

Apparently the hiss stops after some time has passed until the last audio output of the computer. Maybe the computer puts the headphones on idle/sleep or something?
Yep. Stay long enough without using anything that makes sounds and it stops. Make a sound, it goes back to hissing. Weird.

My Mac does the 'stopping after some time' thing too. It just puts the headphones to sleep after a period of inactivity. Your IEMs are just too sensitive for your tablet to drive. Grab a USB DAC if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back