Mike Portnoy wearing custom IEM
Jan 30, 2011 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JamesMcProgger

Headphoneus Supremus

I was watching the "Whirlwind" DVD documentary and at some point Mike comes out with what it seems to be customs(?) in his ears, and he takes them out

update, clearer pict:
aab41db7_MikePortnoycustom4.jpg

Can anyone affirm/deny or identify?

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 16

Quote:

I was watching the "Whirlwind" DVD documentary and at some point Mike comes out with what it seems to be customs(?) in his ears, and he takes them out

Can anyone affirm/deny or identify?

those are definitely customs, but the make is nearly;y impossible to discern since customs look very close in appearance with each other

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
are all customs designed to be wear behind the ear? with the hard sleeve?

most are, though I'm sure some budget versions don't come with the memory sleeve, or at least you can choose whether to opt out on that option or not

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 16
damn Mike, you're ugly, you're even more ugly then in the old days

watched the dvd also, Progger, a bit dissapointing to be honest, coolest of the bunch was Gildenlow

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:

watched the dvd also, Progger, a bit dissapointing to be honest, coolest of the bunch was Gildenlow

I didnt like much the new album at the beginning, but now... guess what its my favorite.
I liked the fact that Roine and Pete have more vocals/writings in this compared with the oldest albums, I happen to be a huge TFK fan and enjoy pete's playing, remind me of Chris Squirre, 

and yes, Gildenlow never disappoints. too bad he's in the back, most of the times. i'd like him to be a permanent studio member too.

btw

gs1000.gif
 POST 1000 
gs1000.gif

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
That does look a lot like a Westone ES cable, so I'd guess Westone...

there are a lot of cables that look like the westone cables, only difference being the lack of branding 

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #13 of 16
I'm not a very big fan of Transatlantic, I've listened and know all the albums pretty good, but it justs doesn't do it for me. I like Spock's beard much more, also Neal Morse's solo work and TFK. Maybe it has something to do with Mike's playing. I've spent half my life listening to every drum thing he does, I know his playing by heart, even became a drummer who plays a lot like him (not as good though, lol). I just heard everything he does, and he does it everywhere and always in that way. Like a trick I now know. I hear him playing on new cd's, I listen and I just know what's coming. Also his drum sound I can't really appreciate these days. It started changing on 'Scenes from a memory' with the very bloated kick-drum sound. From there on, it went down for me personally. I loved his sound on Awake and Change of Seasons much more.

Apart from the fact I'm not into his drum playing (and drum sound) anymore these days, he's a great person offcourse, always nice to his fans and fanclub people.

About the DVD, I was also a little bit dissapointed with the sound, bit muddy, Neal's voice wasn't at it's best also (he's getting old by the way!)

You're right about Gildenlow, almost everything the guy does is magic.

Congrats with the big 1000, feeling the knowledge floating in already? ^.^

Quote:

Quote:

I didnt like much the new album at the beginning, but now... guess what its my favorite.
I liked the fact that Roine and Pete have more vocals/writings in this compared with the oldest albums, I happen to be a huge TFK fan and enjoy pete's playing, remind me of Chris Squirre, 

and yes, Gildenlow never disappoints. too bad he's in the back, most of the times. i'd like him to be a permanent studio member too.

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #14 of 16
I like Mike's drumming but I never got obsessed or anything. I'm also a big fan of Spock's Beard and Neal Morse(solo stuff...One, Testimony & ? are my favs)...and also Transatlantic. My favorite band is The Flower Kings.

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #15 of 16
prog is on the air 
rolleyes.gif
 I think portnoy is an awesome drummer, i cant get bored of his playing, except for that w<y dream theater was going, too heavy-wannabe and not even heavy at all.
and, Dane you forgot about Pain of Salvation.

anyway, someone must recognize those IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back