Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater.... no joke.... :(
Sep 9, 2010 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Roger Strummer

500+ Head-Fier
I haven't been around here for a couple of weeks, but just read this news a couple hours ago and came here to see if it was already posted. I just felt like sharing it for other fellow DT fans (so no business for haters here).

Here is Mike's message:

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2585154.aspx

I'm a huge fan and almost surely will continue to be so since the person I'm most fan of is Petrucci, but this news actually makes me pretty sad... just wanted to share and read other people's thoughts.... I don't think anyone saw it coming...

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 10
I wonder if he'll be continuing to play for avenged sevenfold if they record a new album.  I've never really been into dream theater because I hate the vocals, but I loved how well he executed The Rev's drum tracks on Nightmare.  

There's a reason why the Avenged Sevenfold guys said that Portnoy was The rev's idol.  He's an extremely talented and technical drummer.  Just listen to the drum fill at  10:35-10:40  on Avenged Sevenfold - Save Me.  It's the best part of the whole album. 

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
I wonder if he'll be continuing to play for avenged sevenfold if they record a new album.  I've never really been into dream theater because I hate the vocals, but I loved how well he executed The Rev's drum tracks on Nightmare.  

There's a reason why the Avenged Sevenfold guys said that Portnoy was The rev's idol.  He's an extremely talented and technical drummer.  Just listen to the drum fill at  10:35-10:40  on Avenged Sevenfold - Save Me.  It's the best part of the whole album. 

Maybe he liked being in a #1 album and will stay with A7X.... who knows... but their last album is far from my fav although there are two tracks that I loved. Maybe he wanted something more "mainstream" than DT... 

But trying to look the positive side of looking at things... maybe DT can really return to a more progressive style... hearing the Petrucci and Rudess album things could be hugely interesting....

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm not a diehard fan of Dream Theater but that's really bad news, most of my interest in the band came from Portnoy's drumming.

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 10
Dream Theater after Y2K are for the most part boring, maybe some fresh blood is needed as SFAM is their last good effort. Hope they recruit Gene Hoglan or Richard Christy which both are not doing anything major at the moment, they fit DT current direction and might add the much needed oomph. One could hope for Mark Zonder, but he's busy with recording material for the second Slavior album.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Dream Theater after Y2K are for the most part boring, maybe some fresh blood is needed as SFAM is their last good effort. Hope they recruit Gene Hoglan or Richard Christy which both are not doing anything major at the moment, they fit DT current direction and might add the much needed oomph. One could hope for Mark Zonder, but he's busy with recording material for the second Slavior album.

If I remember correctly Scenes' was made when DT were, according to MP,  having troubles off the back of Falling into Infinity, hopefully this change will produce something as good. 

DT's sound hasn't deviated much for the last few albums (maybe with the exception of Train of Thought), some fresh blood and lack of Mike's influence could get the band going again.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 10
FII demos 1996-97 says a lot about the business, that record could have been so much better, and the sad part is that many see Derek Sherinian as the scapegoat. I've been disappointed so many times by DT, so any change is welcomed, I'm that desperate....

It's really frustrating when even former vocalist Dominici release good records, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and this was (I hope) a sign to DT...  snap out of it!

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Maybe he liked being in a #1 album and will stay with A7X.... who knows... but their last album is far from my fav although there are two tracks that I loved. Maybe he wanted something more "mainstream" than DT... 

But trying to look the positive side of looking at things... maybe DT can really return to a more progressive style... hearing the Petrucci and Rudess album things could be hugely interesting....

I think it was more because Portnoy has been doing a lot as of recently, and he wanted a break from DT's constant and rigorous recording/touring cycles; but the rest of the band didn't want to go and slow down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back