Mike Patton
Dec 19, 2009 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

hardRAWKR

100+ Head-Fier
So how about Mike Patton? Frontman of legendary band Faith No More, as well as numerous other projects (Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Peeping Tom, and Fantomas are the ones I'm aware of). What do you guys think?

Personally, I never really got into Faith No More...too rap-oriented for me. But I LOVE Mr. Bungle. One of my favorite bands of all time. I haven't heard much of his other projects, I'm only aware that they exist.

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 18
Mike Patton is one of my favorite hard rock vocalists, and the reason is for his performance on FNM's "Angel Dust", one of my favorite albums of all-time. They were following up a huge hit, and put out a diverse, hook-leaden album that went over the heads of most of the rap-rock fans that jumped on "The Real Thing" bandwagon. On "Angel Dust", Patton's voice could scream, growl, croon and soar all on that album. A high-water mark for that man and that band.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 18
Heard any of his other projects? Mr. Bungle is excellent, I don't know a whole lot about the others though.

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 18
Great post uncle b and I agree completely. Angel Dust really demonstrated what Patton was capable of to the mainstream. A capability most fans of Mr. Bungle were already familiar with.

If one wants a real treat, check out Patton's Italian cowboy-opera performed with a Dutch orchestra.

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 18
Nice topic guys, I was just listening to Tomahawk and reading some threads when I saw this! Oh, what can I say, Tomahawk album Mit Gas FLAC can make you mad with the right gear to hear all the details and voice effects that Mike uses. I'm so glad I was able to see Faith No More live last summer it was a hell of a show. You should definitely hear some more of Tomahawk! Good reminder Zanth, I was going to listen to opera performance a while ago but I forgot, thanks. Nice topic!

'I was awake all through the surgery the people dancing, laughtin all for me, you saw me up but it will never heal, will I forget then learn to smile somedaaaayyy...'

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 18
he does a lot of video game work as far as voiceovers and scores. i think perhaps animated films as well.

also has a huge collection of rare and obscure synths and toys that he uses for sound effects.

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't seen it, but he did the creature vocal effects in I Am Legend. Very prolific dude.

Awesome movie. I had no idea he did the monster sounds. They sound amazing.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't seen it, but he did the creature vocal effects in I Am Legend. Very prolific dude.

Also did vocals for the infected in Left 4 Dead.

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #11 of 18
I love Mike Patton, especially EARLY FNM and Mr Bungle.
I was just playing L4D last night, I think it's funny he did the infected vocals... who better than he for that job?

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 18
best (and hardest working) vocalist in the biz, IMHO. he really sees voice as another instrument in the band rather than just some dude who gets to stand up front and flirt with the ladies.

check out Fantomas, and if you're feeling adventurous, Hemophiliac. good stuff.

Dec 23, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #13 of 18
I love Fantômas, and pretty much everything else he's done. Mr. Bungle is something of the coolest music there is.

He's done an awful lot of various collaborations, and one I can can recommend is one I just picked up at a whim, since I recognized the name of his collaborator.
The album is called 'Romances', and is not a particularly easy listening, but totally worth it.

Dec 23, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 18
He's done so much it's making my head hurt.
L3000.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #15 of 18
All this Patton talk made me realize I have only scratched the surface with this guy, and I just fired off an order for all three Mr. Bungle discs from an on-line retailer! I kinda let that project slip through the cracks on my '90's listening!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back