Mike Doughty is good
Oct 1, 2005 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

viator122

Headphoneus Supremus
I heard this guy on WFUV (Fordham University's radio station) a couple of weeks ago and I had to go out and buy his new album, Haughty Melodic. It's a great album of folk/acoustic rock in which rhythm plays a very important role. The songs "Tremendous Brunettes" (which features Dave Matthews), "I Hear the Bells" and "Looking at the World from the Bottom of a Well" are standouts, but the whole album is really great.

I liked it so much that I went out and picked up an album by Doughty's old band, Soul Coughing. I got Ruby Vroom. Yeah I know I'm a little late to the party on this one, but it is such an interesting album. I love "Is Chicago, Is Not Chicago," "Sugar Free Jazz" and "Casiotone Nation" especially.

I would highly recommend that everyone at least take a listen to the Amazon samples of Doughty's new album. It's great.

Any other fans?

Oct 1, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 5
His new stuff is OK to me, but nothing compares to the classic 3 albums he cut with Soul Coughing. Those records are destined to be classics, they were such an amazing band with such incredible skill. Too bad they hated each other.

Oct 4, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by loveheadphones
nothing better than listening to "screenwriter's blues" on the hollywood freeway

this was my favorite soul coughing track too, although "St Louise is Listening" is also great

I've been happy with Doughty's new record as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back