Mike Doughty- Golden Delicious
Jul 7, 2008 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
He keeps on keepin' on, and good for him (and us).

Ex-genius songwriter extraordinaire for the late lamented Soul Coughing, he continues to plow the same basic field he cleared with that band.

This is a fun, up-beat collection of mildly funky songs-ah, from Mike, who continues to stretch out-ah, his syl-a-bles-ah, like a modern-day beat-nik.

No, his backing band here is not as good as Soul Coughing (but that's an absurdly tall order, isn't it?), but they are in his corner and do what they can.

This is probaly the most pop-oriented, song-oriented thing he's ever released. But he's going more into singer/songwriter territory than ever before.

For the un-initiated, go back and get your hands on Irresistable Bliss from Soul Coughing. It's a mind-blowing LP, the first and following albums almost as good.

But for the long-term-o-phile like me, Golden Delicious is a winner. Mike's warm, golden voice is stronger than ever. The songs are short, sharp, and clear.

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He keeps on keepin' on, and good for him (and us).

Ex-genius songwriter extraordinaire for the late lamented Soul Coughing, he continues to plow the same basic field he cleared with that band.

This is a fun, up-beat collection of mildly funky songs-ah, from Mike, who continues to stretch out-ah, his syl-a-bles-ah, like a modern-day beat-nik.

No, his backing band here is not as good as Soul Coughing (but that's an absurdly tall order, isn't it?), but they are in his corner and do what they can.

This is probaly the most pop-oriented, song-oriented thing he's ever released. But he's going more into singer/songwriter territory than ever before.

For the un-initiated, go back and get your hands on Irresistable Bliss from Soul Coughing. It's a mind-blowing LP, the first and following albums almost as good.

But for the long-term-o-phile like me, Golden Delicious is a winner. Mike's warm, golden voice is stronger than ever. The songs are short, sharp, and clear.

I am also enjoying this album....I really enjoy "Haughty" and would agree this is more poppy, not sure I like it better, but I do enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back