Might Get Some HD-555's
Dec 14, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mirumu might be able to say what other all rounder headphones might exist at the sub $100 level. Grados certainly aren't, MS-1s probably, Sony MDR-V6, but others...
blink.gif

I don't consider my Grado SR-80s all rounders so I'd tend to agree there. Unfortunately the only other headphones I've heard in that price range are IEMs so I can't be much more help in that regard.

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #17 of 24
the 555 are a good all around headphone. One thing, for certain songs (no specific genre of music) I feel it needs some EQing to up the low end to sound good, but for other songs its perfect. However I think just about all headphones can be like this.

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly I don't know what you would think of the HD555, their frequency signature is not a lot different compared with the HD595 but they can still sound quite different at the end of the day. Other HD555 threads around here suggest many feel the same way I do. To me the HD595 is clearly better and is worth the price difference.

I obviously need to listen to a HD555, so that I can say with authority what it would be like......right now I have to write a disclaimer about how I'm a HD595 person, and theoritically, the HD555 should be similar
eggosmile.gif
I suspect I won't find it as bad as you, since I've noticed our interpretation of the HD595 differs. It seems like you're mainly looking for an uncolored headphone. So naturally that heads towards stats. I thought that thread with SACDlover was interesting, and made me realize why I like the HD595 and HD650. They have the potential to be phenominal headphones....especially on a tube amp, you can have tailor the sound to give it certain musicality(yet at the core be pretty transparent). Yes, that gets to be a lot of money spent on a $200 headphone.....a stat might not need as expensive a setup, but it's still an expensive headphone. So I guess it all equals out. We're all spending too much money on this site
eggosmile.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #19 of 24
its really not that difficult. the HD-555 is a good headphone, especially for that price. I bought my hd-555 for 140 last Christmas and I havnt regreted it. I've never listened to the 595, but I read they are similar and if you dont have the money to buy them and you have to sell your clubs just to get the 555, just buy the 555.

Pros - very comfortable, low impedence, long cord, pretty durable, sounds great

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

I obviously need to listen to a HD555, so that I can say with authority what it would be like......right now I have to write a disclaimer about how I'm a HD595 person, and theoritically, the HD555 should be similar
eggosmile.gif
I suspect I won't find it as bad as you, since I've noticed our interpretation of the HD595 differs.

Indeed, but I do think I can appreciate it's strengths. To me the HD595 is a good headphone and scales nicely with a good amp. I do think there are better headphones, but that's a separate matter. From my experience an amp doesn't help the HD555 much at all, it tends to sound slow, loose and muddy no matter what you do. It reminds me of the Sony EX71s IEMs but with more soundstage, less treble harshness and a big veil.

Quote:

It seems like you're mainly looking for an uncolored headphone. So naturally that heads towards stats. I thought that thread with SACDlover was interesting, and made me realize why I like the HD595 and HD650. They have the potential to be phenominal headphones....especially on a tube amp, you can have tailor the sound to give it certain musicality(yet at the core be pretty transparent).

Yes, that's certainly my experience. Having said that, many headphones will scale with an amp of that level too. In my opinion my SR-80s also sound much better with a nice tube amp as do many headphones I've tried.

Quote:

Yes, that gets to be a lot of money spent on a $200 headphone.....a stat might not need as expensive a setup, but it's still an expensive headphone. So I guess it all equals out. We're all spending too much money on this site
eggosmile.gif

Hehe, you haven't looked at the price of electrostatic amps like the KGSS, Blue Hawaii, Singlepower ES-1 amp then.
wink.gif

As far as I know the ES-1 can top the Supra on price with all the options.

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe, you haven't looked at the price of electrostatic amps like the KGSS, Blue Hawaii, Singlepower ES-1 amp then.
wink.gif

As far as I know the ES-1 can top the Supra on price with all the options.

Careful, that kind of defeats the arguement you made with SACDlover that electrostats don't need as expensive a source
eggosmile.gif
I guess maybe you don't need to spend as much to get a second hand electrostat to sound transparent?

I'm at a point where I'm thinking once I get the PPX3 SLAM, I'll be done.....untill I probably read a review on the Supra and how much better it is at speed!!
eggosmile.gif
Just after having a chat with SACDlover, he mentioned that the PPX3 SLAM is a real bargain and isn't that much inferior then the Supra. I suspect once you get past the $1k mark on components, the upgrades get to be very minimal. I know this DAC1 I got is proving to be something else (adding lots of resolution/ but also a clear soundstage).

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #22 of 24
daverose you are quite vicious when given the chance to recommend a headphone. mainly being sennheiser ones of course even if you mention grado in there ... it cant be alone and needs a friend which is sennheiser!

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
daverose you are quite vicious when given the chance to recommend a headphone. mainly being sennheiser ones of course even if you mention grado in there ... it cant be alone and needs a friend which is sennheiser!

Hey, I have admitted my Senheiser fanboyism
biggrin.gif
I do recommend the HD595 a lot, because it seems like a great all rounder can to me. Since my pads for the 325s are backordered, it may be awhile until I say with fanfare if Grados can be all around rock cans. But I am finding that Grados and Sennheisers probably make the best friends
eggosmile.gif
.....when worked on, a Grado can be really detailed and transparent, and the Sennhieser can be quite full and lifelike.

Dec 14, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Careful, that kind of defeats the arguement you made with SACDlover that electrostats don't need as expensive a source
eggosmile.gif

I never argued that they were cheaper. A top notch electrostatic system can be very expensive. It's more that if headphone A sounds better than headphone B on the same system, why would you spend lots of money to build a special system for headphone B? If you do, headphone A will probably sound better too, especially if headphone A is known to scale well with a better source.

Quote:

I guess maybe you don't need to spend as much to get a second hand electrostat to sound transparent?

I think that is true although my point with SACDlover wasn't about dynamics vs electrostatics. I personally like something like the Audio Technica W5000 better than the HD595 as well and that's a dynamic can. The W5000 didn't even sound like it matched my system well at all just liked it better.

Quote:

I'm at a point where I'm thinking once I get the PPX3 SLAM, I'll be done.....untill I probably read a review on the Supra and how much better it is at speed!!
eggosmile.gif
Just after having a chat with SACDlover, he mentioned that the PPX3 SLAM is a real bargain and isn't that much inferior then the Supra. I suspect once you get past the $1k mark on components, the upgrades get to be very minimal. I know this DAC1 I got is proving to be something else (adding lots of resolution/ but also a clear soundstage).

I should point out that the Supra is what I was looking at before getting into electrostatics.
orphsmile.gif
But yes, everything I've heard suggests the PPX3 SLAM is a great amp.

Quote:

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Yes, sorry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back