Might buy a new HD TV... what to get in the 50" range?
Jan 8, 2007 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
I've seen a few threads on this but I thought I'd post my own in hopes of getting feedback from the ones who've asked in the past now that they have probably bought something.

First question: LCD or Plasma? - I want a shape and clear picture, I see lots of HD's that have grainy looking pictures the closer you get... I'd like it to be sharp and clear at any distance if possible.

Second Question: Is Panasonic all the hype or is the Sharp Aquos the one to look at?

Last Question: Should DLP be a must?

Jan 8, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 72
Ok, I am absolutely no expert in this, but one thing i noticed is that plasmas have way better blacks imho, circuit city was showing v for vendetta on their hds a little while back, and it looked much better on the plasma screens. Dlp also helps very much. And samsungs have some sort of appeal to me brand-wise, their colors just seem deeper. Dont forget about rear projection either, much cheaper if the slimness factor isn't a must. Check out this deal, and remember that many times the cheap sets are tuned like crap in store, to persuede you into buying expensive ones. vizio anyone? tuned they look fine imo once again.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Hitac...oductDetail.do
1200 for 65 inch, 800 51 inch rear projection crt.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=722131 for people reviews.

All of this is in my opinion by the way. Hope it helped.

Jan 8, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 72
No projection please

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cnet rated Pioneer's PDP-5070HD as the best plasma, and it happened to be 50 inches, so you may want to check it out.

Looks like it only goes to 720p? Shouldn't I be looking at the 1080i?

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are watching the tv from over 5 feet away, physical tests show that the human eye can not see the difference between the two, so save yourself some money and go for 720.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 72
wake, I think it's time you consider something in the 70" range like this just announced Sony:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/07/s...via-kd-70xbr3/

Seriously, there is a ton of info out there. I don't know why you need our help.
cool.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 72
Quote:

you probably meant 1080p since most 720p sets also do 1080i. yeah that is the way i am gonna go since ps3 and things to come will be 1080p.
i am looking at 50" dlp mitsubishi diamond series set.. at costco...i currently have a panasonic 52 720p projection lcd but as you mentioned it can look grainy sometimes...check out costco..they allow a 1 year "in home trial" and you can return it during this period if you are not satisfied according to the salesman who sold it to me...so i will take advantage of his offer real soon:

ps if you want to play video games on it i would lean towards lcd..although burn in has improved tremendously on the plasma i dont think the issue it totally eradicated..

Jan 8, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #11 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you probably meant 1080p since most 720p sets also do 1080i. yeah that is the way i am gonna go since ps3 and things to come will be 1080p.
i am looking at 50" dlp mitsubishi diamond series set.. at costco...i currently have a panasonic 52 720p projection lcd but as you mentioned it can look grainy sometimes...check out costco..they allow a 1 year "in home trial" and you can return it during this period if you are not satisfied according to the salesman who sold it to me...so i will take advantage of his offer real soon:

ps if you want to play video games on it i would lean towards lcd..although burn in has improved tremendously on the plasma i dont think the issue it totally eradicated..

Yeah, that's where I was yesterday and the Panasonic and Sharp Aquos were both looking very nice... For some reason they are not on the consumer reports
plainface.gif
only the 42"
frown.gif

My grandfather has a Sony and I can't say I'm too impressed with it.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #12 of 72
I just got a 61" Samsung DLP from Sams Club for $2200. I love it. It came with a matching Samsung stand too for the price.

It does 1080p, which is desireable for your Xbox360, which can now do 1080p.

If you ever get into HDDVD or Blueray, then you will want 1080p. I've got the HDDVD add on for my 360 and it blew me away with the pic quality.

By the way, you say no projection, but I think ALL DLP sets are projection.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #13 of 72
I think you should check out the 50" DLP from Samsung.The price is low and the reviews on Amazon are all positive.Personally i will be getting that one or a 40" Sony LCD.

Jan 8, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #14 of 72
Quote:

No projection please

This could be a bit confusing...do you mean projection TV, or a projector?

If you can splurge, a Projector set-up looks BALLER on the wall. And a dece projector, is about the same cost as the 50 inchers you're looking at, but you can get a bigger screen with a projector (pretty much unlimited, as 250" is ginormous...).

My buddy has an LCD AND projector. The LCD is in his bedroom.

Jan 8, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #15 of 72

Users who are viewing this thread

Back