Might be buying Sennheiser HD 650s used from Offer Up, need advice.
Mar 22, 2021 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Theendgamelv3

New Head-Fier
I got a question about buying used headphones through local meet up like on Offer Up or Craig's List. There are a pair of Sennheiser HD650 for 200 bucks in my area. Would I be able to tell if the headphones are bad with just listening to them through my phone as a test? Do I need a amp to detect any kind of defect due to their impedance?

Mar 22, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 5
A phone will probably be fine to test them. I've used my HD 650 with my Samsung S9 and my old MacBook Air, which sounds a little better. Both get loud enough if you don't want rock concert levels. You might also ask the person selling them if they've got a source and/or amp that you could test them with.

Mar 23, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 5
Yeah, your phone isn't ideal for testing high impedance headphones but it should be fine. Also for a little bit more you could also buy a pair of brand new HD6XX. Those are basically the same as a pair of HD650 and I believe they sell for 220 USD.

Mar 23, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks guys for the replies. So I went ahead and bought them. Apart of the reason why I didn't buy the HD6xx was it would be months before I got them. I was pretty surprised at how good they sounded even from my phone. Looking at the pictures too, he took care of them. They had some wear, but that is to be expected. Just need to buy a better amp and I am all set.

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks guys for the replies. So I went ahead and bought them. Apart of the reason why I didn't buy the HD6xx was it would be months before I got them. I was pretty surprised at how good they sounded even from my phone. Looking at the pictures too, he took care of them. They had some wear, but that is to be expected. Just need to buy a better amp and I am all set.
Welcome to the club! It's not very exclusive, though, because these headphones are so popular and have been around so long.

The HD 650 are not nearly so power hungry as a lot of people will have you believe. To me they sound about as good out of my MBA as they do out of any other solid state amp I've tried them with. My S9 is only marginally worse, but that's the phone and not the headphones being demanding. If somebody took away all of my sources and amps except my phone, I think I'd be perfectly happy.

If the wear is bothersome, pretty much all parts can be replaced.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back