Midrange Amp for Home Use
Mar 23, 2005 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Brunoski909

Head-Fier
Hey everybody,
I'm looking for an amp in the $300-$500 range to match with the following system:
E-MU 0404 -> ???? -> Sony MDR-SA5000

I'm looking to spend absolutely no more than $500, and price is a pretty important factor.
Some items that seem to be popular choice include:
Gilmore Lite (to PSU or not PSU?)
Mid range PPA (Diamond Buffers, Bass Boost)
Woo Audio 1 or 3
Lightly used PPX3
SR-71

Does anyone have any experience with how these amps mesh with the SA5000? Please feel free to suggest others, I'm completely open.

Mar 26, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 10
I have spent alot of time with two of the amps you have mentioned. The PPX3 and a PPA with diamond buffers and step power supply. I prefer tubes (ppx3) but the PPA is a very good amp. I used several headphones, but the only sony were the CD3K.
The PPX3 had a more powerful and full lush sound. The PPA is more detailed and very smooth but the headstage wasnt as big. The PPA is purk's if you want to get the details on whats inside to give you some reference point.
Both were nice and either should do well with any phones you use. Purk has the SA5000 on the way and can let you know how they sound with his PPA. Vague answer but hope it helps some.

Mar 26, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm not a fan of the SR-71 and SA5000. The SR-71 is an excellent amp, and you can hear the quality shine through with the SA5000, but I find the SA5000 too bright when paired with the SR-71.

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 26, 2005 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 10
You also might want to consider the CI Audio VHP-1 + VAC-1 as well...

Mar 29, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 10
I have the Gilmore Lite and have used it with the standard Elpac and with the optional Dedicated Power Supply. I've been extremely happy with this amp in both configurations. You do not need the Power Supply for this amp to sound great unless you have very dirty electricity. It does help, but the Elpac is very capable and will save you some money. If you need power filtering, I'd look at the new Gilmore GS-1 by the same manufacturer instead of the Lite.

Mar 30, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
If you could stretch your budget a litte bit you could get a Dynahi from Veda Audio for about $600 that I think would be a nice match with the sa5k's.

This is a good idea. I know it's $100 more than you wanted to spend, but with a Dynahi you'd be done. No need to upgrade once you have an amp that good!

Mar 30, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 10
m3, every bit as good as ppa if not better, and cheaper too
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunoski909
I'm looking to spend absolutely no more than $500, and price is a pretty important factor.

Can't you guys read?? It's always the same: someone asks for a recommendation in a certain price range, and then it starts:
... hey if you only pay xxx bucks more, you could get a ...
... if you put only little more money on the desk ...
... blabla...

OK, nagging finished... you could check the Meier HA-1 MKII, which has (like all Meier amps) a very good reputation.

Cheers

Chisum

Mar 30, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #10 of 10
Hallo Chisum;

Slightly off topic, but how do the German Amity Headphone amps compare to the Meier or other well known headphone amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back