Midnight Oil Appreciation
Mar 11, 2006 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Doc Sarvis

1000+ Head-Fier
I was a major Oils fan for years - I saw them live, and at one time owned all of their output, including b-sides and rarities. I sort of "peaked" on it around 1996, and have not been a rabid fan since - but they are still a great band to listen to.

The mix of anthemic rock, multi-guitar attack, surf-music sensibilities, Peter Garrett's overwhelming presence and the almost laughably leftist Aussie-political lyrics is very entertaining. Any other Oils fans here? What are your faves from them?

P.S. Back in the mid-90s, I actually participated in an e-mail-based discussion digest called "Powderworks". Believe it or not, I was Doc Sarvis there too. Any other powderworkers still around on head-fi?

Mar 11, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 15
I've been a fan since 1985.I've never been fond of anything else after that time period but that applies to many bands for me.

I still have "Red Sails in the Sunset" LP and a 12" "Power and the Passion". RSITS is such a classic under rated album.It's ironic you mentioned them as I was jamming to the cd just last nite.I still love it !

Mar 11, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 15
It's funny, I'd kind of had my fill in the early 90's too, but re-discovered them in the last couple years. 10,9,8,7... is still such a great record, it's lost none of its impact, as is the follow-up Red Sails. They kind of lost a bit of their edge and direction after that, IMO, though the next few albums are still high quality. I ended up re-purchasing the entire catalog (short of the first two) and have been enjoying it quite a bit.

Good stuff!

Mar 11, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 15
My favorite Oils album (although they are all great in their own ways) is actually from their later period - it's called "Earth and Sun and Moon". No hit singles, and the band's era had largely passed by this point, but it's a really solid release.

B00000294N.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 15
something something BEDS ARE BURNING!

that's all I remember. oh, plus the lead singer looked like someone who just thrashed Tina Turner in the Terrordome.

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 15
cant explain it but thats one band I never cared for...

lacked the harmony / melodies of REM, U2, UB40, Echo & the bunnymen
lacked the raw musicianship of Primus / Chilipeppers

BUT... I'd like to think Im more diverse now than 15 years ago, so help me get into M.O.... please?

What's their best CD?.... If I were to buy ONE album of theirs, that kind of captures ALL of their best works, which one should it be?

Garrett

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

Thats from Diesel and Dust which is the biggest seller, and a good album if a little less aggressive and more pop orientated than the earlier ones. Contains my favorite Midnight Oil song "The Dead Heart", which I guess marks me out not to be a real fan! My favorite album though is 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - "its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" indeed, which might redeem me a little? And I agree "Earth and Sun and Moon" is a good one as well - but I guess noone was listening by that point?

Thing I like about the Oils is that they sung about issues which were so particular to their country and yet they still got big internationally - a real window into a foreign world that had nothing to do with Europe or the US.

Mar 12, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

Ah yes, the song about Aboriginal Reconsiliation.

Midnight Oil were my favourite band when I was a kid, like 8 years old or so.

My favourites were Blue Sky Mining, Forgotten Years and King of the Mountain

Not too fond of em now though
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
cant explain it but thats one band I never cared for...

lacked the harmony / melodies of REM, U2, UB40, Echo & the bunnymen
lacked the raw musicianship of Primus / Chilipeppers

BUT... I'd like to think Im more diverse now than 15 years ago, so help me get into M.O.... please?

What's their best CD?.... If I were to buy ONE album of theirs, that kind of captures ALL of their best works, which one should it be?

Garrett

You should give "Red Sails In The Sunset" a spin---a very good album imo !

Mar 12, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 15
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Red Sails In The Sunset
Diesel and Dust
Blue Sky Mining
in that order would be my pick - the first 2 are rawer than the more radio friendly second two. There is a greatest hits out called 20,000 Watts R.S.L, which is probably the best way to go with Midnight Oil. I must admit I rarely found a whole album totally satisfying, but there are some good moments.

Mar 12, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 15
Never was a big fan, but their songs meant something which is why I liked them.

GIVE IT BACK!!

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 15
Funny... I started sifting through a lot of old vinyl and listend to 10...9...8..., Red Sails and Diesel and Dust. I think all three still stand the test of time, especially Red Sails. I listened to my CD of Blue Sky Mining and save for a couple trucks (Antarctica), this one just doesn't do it anymore. Never really listened to anything afterwards.

I'll have to dig up my imports of Head Injuries and Places Without Postcards. I don't think those ever held up to the albums that followed, though.

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 15
I saw them on their first U.S. tour back in the early/mid '80s in support of 10 to 1...tiny little hole in the wall on the SDSU campus called The Backdoor. Couldn'ta been 300 people in the audience, but they gave it their all and played almost 3 hours. Even had this white dude with a mechanical hand come out and play the digeridoo. I had never even heard of the digeridoo at that point, it made quite an impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back